The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

View Poll Results: How many spare spools do buy when you buy a reel?
None 12 23.08%
1 23 44.23%
2 9 17.31%
Only if it was a package deal 8 15.38%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2009, 02:47 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Why the spare spools?

Hi all,
This just came up in another thread and I figured I should start a new one and get everyone's opinion.
I don't have an extra spool for any of my reels. I tie a large enough loop in my backing so that an entire fly line on its plastic spool can pass through it. Even standing in the water I can switch out a line in under 2 minutes.
I love buying new stuff but I've never seen the point in buying extra spools for $80-$180 each and backing them all. Two spare spools and you have yourself a new reel. I may be missing something so I figured I would put up a poll.
Old 04-21-2009, 03:05 PM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of
Default Re: Why the spare spools?

2 minutes can be 2 seconds with spare spools. That and they keep your extra lines safe from cuts and stuff and untangeld.
I have one for most of my reels and two for a couple.
Bear
Old 04-21-2009, 03:10 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi swirlchaser,

I think multiple spools make perfect sense. If you fish many kinds of water or different types of fish, then multiple spools make sense. For my 8wt I have a floating, an integrated sink-tip and a full sinking. So with one reel and two extra spools I am good to go for any circumstances. Does it cost money, yes but it is money well spent to me.

I prefer to buy a really good reel with spare spools and use it rather than buying multiple lower cost reels. Changing lines standing in the water is not my kind of fun. You will probably stop changing lines in the water the first time you drop a plastic spool and see it being washed down stream with your line on it. If you think changing lines is better than changing spools then I suggest you do it on the bank.

Frank
Old 04-21-2009, 03:22 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
Hi swirlchaser,

I think multiple spools make perfect sense. If you fish many kinds of water or different types of fish, then multiple spools make sense. For my 8wt I have a floating, an integrated sink-tip and a full sinking. So with one reel and two extra spools I am good to go for any circumstances. Does it cost money, yes but it is money well spent to me.

I prefer to buy a really good reel with spare spools and use it rather than buying multiple lower cost reels. Changing lines standing in the water is not my kind of fun. You will probably stop changing lines in the water the first time you drop a plastic spool and see it being washed down stream with your line on it. If you think changing lines is better than changing spools then I suggest you do it on the bank.

Frank
It doesn't have to be a lesser expensive reel. It seems that a spool is 1/2 the price of an entire reel so you can buy one reel and 2 spools or 2 complete reels for the same money. (I'm using the Galvan price list as a guide.)
Especially with most of my saltwater reels not having quick release spools, swapping out an entire spool isn't all that easy.

Bear,
I keep my spare lines in my bag on the spools they came on so they are pretty save. Well, pretty safe is a relative term with me and fishing gear...
Old 04-21-2009, 03:33 PM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of

I actually have only one reel that has multiple spools. It's a Cortland 55 that I got with 2 extra spools. One has a WF2F, another has a DT2F, the third is empty.

I hate things like that, though. Makes me consider buying a 3wt to flesh out the other spool....damn fly fishing disease....
Old 04-21-2009, 03:35 PM

ezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the rough

you change an entire line onto your reels while fishing??? wow. i'm speechless.

i think i would use spare spools except i have a sickness. i dig reels and have several. it never crossed my mind to swap out lines while fishing. even now having encountered the concept through your post, i STILL wouldn't do it. my other options are less labor and time intensive. but hey, if your system works for you...

almost all of my reels are bought used. generally classic reels no longer made (click and pawl CFO, redington CT, etc). often a spare spool is included and if so i am GLAD to have it. if it doesn't include one i will keep an eye out for one and buy it in the future but i don't usually use them. often a line is included on the spare spool and the seller has no idea what it is) they are for collecting/increased resale value. but generally, i have reels mated to certain rods for specific fishing excursions. my 4wt reel is usually for dries and if i use nymphs i just use weighted flies. i have two 7wt rods and i use two different reels. when i take only one rod, i take two reels.

i'm rambling...

eric
fresno, ca.
Old 04-21-2009, 04:08 PM

GRN will become famous soon enough

Spools are good...

Have 1 #1 Evo, 3 spools total (2&3 wt's)
Have 2 #2 Evo's, 6 spools total (4&5 wt's)
Have 2 #3 Canyons, 4 spools total (6&7 wt's)
Sage 2580 for my 6wt spey, 2 spools.

I have a few other reels that only have one because they are used for very specific applications. When we're lake fishing from the boat in Maine, it's not unusual to have 4 rods fully rigged... between that and making quick changes on any water

I choose fly rods the same way I do women, motorcycles, and cowboy boots...
go with what ever feels good, and keep on hand as many as I can afford
Old 04-21-2009, 06:06 PM

dmwphoto has a spectacular aura aboutdmwphoto has a spectacular aura aboutdmwphoto has a spectacular aura about

I always have 2 spare spools for my main reels. I like to be able to make the appropriate presentation as it is called for. They are relatively inexpensive.
I go to a lot of trouble to fish. I do not want to compromise once on the water.

To me, the journey of learning is almost more fun than arriving at the destination of knowing.
Old 04-21-2009, 06:22 PM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by swirlchaser View Post
It doesn't have to be a lesser expensive reel. It seems that a spool is 1/2 the price of an entire reel so you can buy one reel and 2 spools or 2 complete reels for the same money. (I'm using the Galvan price list as a guide.)
Especially with most of my saltwater reels not having quick release spools, swapping out an entire spool isn't all that easy.

Bear,
I keep my spare lines in my bag on the spools they came on so they are pretty save. Well, pretty safe is a relative term with me and fishing gear...
What I meant was everytime you switch your lines from the spool to the reel back and forth you run the risk of somthing happning to your line.
Bear
Old 04-21-2009, 07:15 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I've switched out lines instead of changing spools before and I've had much trouble.
Swirlchaser's 2 minutes turned into about 15 for me.
No thank you
I'd rather change reels instead of spools but that's not always feasible, so on most of my big water reels, I have spares.

With one of my reels, there's 4
When the reel was 'closing-out' I tried to get another before they were gone... I was too late, but there were so many extra spools left over that they were going for only 10 bucks
Spare spools galore