The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2009, 09:11 PM

Jeff Savage is on a distinguished road
Default Help with info and ID on fly reel: BarDon?

Machined aluminum flyreel. Very well made. Probably a prototype. Marked on the backplate: By BarDon . M.A. Marked inside the spool: by bardon m.a. CONN. (I take this to be Connecticut.). Not sure if M.A. is the makers first and middle initials, or has some other meaning. On the foot: model A 2/4 1970 serial A-0001. I take 2/4 to be the line weights it is made for. Set up for right hand wind. Frame, foot, line guard, handle, all aluminum. Screws plated brass or steel Central spindal that the spool mounts on steel. Brass or copper bushing. Click looks to be steel with a copper or brass spring. Click gear on spool steel. Spool latch copper of brass. Sideplates are 2 3/4 inches. across. Spool is 2 1/2 inches. Width of spool 3/4 inch. Foot is 2 1/2 inches. Any information on this maker? Could this be a prototype, or a patent model? Anything you could tell me would be appreciated.

Click the image to open in full size.

http://www.drexelantiques.com/images...onflyreelb.jpg

http://www.drexelantiques.com/images...onflyreelc.jpg

More pictures on the following page:

What is it ? Antique & Collectible Items I am seeking Information On.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 05-19-2009, 09:21 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help with info and ID on fly reel: BarDon?

Apparently there were a few small Connecticut machine shops that made fly reels.
I have an all aluminum reel that was my grandfather's, beautifully etched, that was made in Bridgeport.
I was able to find information about it over on the fiberglass forum

fiberglassflyrodders - Message Board - Yuku
Old 05-19-2009, 09:58 PM

ksbrowntrout2 has a spectacular aura aboutksbrowntrout2 has a spectacular aura about

I don't have any answers to your questions.....but that looks like a pretty sweet fly reel
Old 05-19-2009, 11:19 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Jeff,

I can only say that I don't believe that the person who had the machining skill to produce that reel then used a vibrating pen type etching device to scribe his name on it.

Anyone with that level of machinist's skill would have done a professional job of inscribing the backplate. What do you think?

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 05-20-2009, 09:07 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Ard,

You are absolutely right. The maker of the reel did not etch the reel. It is a shame that somebody messed up that reel.

Frank
Old 05-20-2009, 10:11 AM

Jeff Savage is on a distinguished road

I asked myself the same question regarding the lack of quality in the etching vs the skill of the machining. They just do not seem to go together.

But then if it wasn't etched the reel would have no markings whatsoever, which seems equally unlikely. Not even size, yardage, or etc.

I do not know the answer. I am just trying to piece together what I can as the reel is beautifully made.
Old 05-20-2009, 11:40 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi Frank,

Jeff,

You may come up dry on finding out who built it but it is a nice reel and if you get your answer please share it to the group.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 05-22-2009, 07:21 AM

dshort has a spectacular aura aboutdshort has a spectacular aura aboutdshort has a spectacular aura about

It looks an awful lot like the Hardy Lightweight series. Based on the pattern of the holes in the face plate, the spool release latch and the line guide I would say that it is possibly a copy of the Hardy design.
Old 05-23-2009, 07:34 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

I think what you have there is the product of a dedicated flyfisher who is also a tool and die maker on the side... My fishing buddy Jim has built two so far in his spare time at work...

Dan