The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2011, 11:50 PM

wouldnot is on a distinguished road
Default 6wt Saltwater Reel for Sage Xi3

Just bought the xi3 rod, need a saltwater reel to go with it but don't know what to look for. Any suggestions? Something that would match that rod.

I may take it on the kayak sometimes so it may get splashed.
Old 01-23-2011, 02:10 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 6wt Saltwater Reel for Sage Xi3

There are lots of options. Here is a short list. Research to your heart's delight. I am sure that others will chime in.

Sealed Drag:
Hatch 5 Plus Monsoon Mid Arbor
Bauer Rogue 3
Lamson Litespeed 3

Cork Drag:
Abel Super 6N
Islander LX3.4

Synthetic Drag:
Galvan Torque 6 (or Rush 6 Lite if you want to save a few pennies)
Ross Evolution Evolution Lite or Vexis
Old 01-23-2011, 02:37 AM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post
There are lots of options. Here is a short list. Research to your heart's delight. I am sure that others will chime in.

Sealed Drag:
Hatch 5 Plus Monsoon Mid Arbor
Bauer Rogue 3
Lamson Litespeed 3

Cork Drag:
Abel Super 6N
Islander LX3.4

Synthetic Drag:
Galvan Torque 6 (or Rush 6 Lite if you want to save a few pennies)
Ross Evolution Evolution Lite or Vexis
+1 for the lamson lightspeed. the conical drag system they run is outstanding. the drag is also very well sealed, so salt would not be a problem in that aspect.

casey

ARFE
Old 01-23-2011, 08:46 AM

SkipS is on a distinguished road

Just pick a reel you like and go with it.I use eithet a Ross Canyon 3 or a J Ryall on my 6wt's.The Orvis Battenkills,large arbor or mid arbor,would do you fine.You might also pick up a Teton or Tioga,both rugged reels for the salt.There are tons of choices and they all work.
Old 01-23-2011, 04:34 PM

ddombos2 will become famous soon enoughddombos2 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to ddombos2 Send a message via Skype™ to ddombos2

-1 for the Teton/Tioga. I own a Tioga 10. There is a lot of backplay prior to engaging the drag. Plus, the reintroduction by the new owner has been sort of iffy. I don't know how certain their future is.

I like:

Ross
Nautilus
Lamson
Galvan

Anodized aluminum and either a sealed or easily cleaned drag. Most good reel makers will make something appropriate. For a 6wt., I doubt you need the strongest drag, but you'll need smooth for the speed of the fish in saltwater.
Old 01-24-2011, 09:45 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

I fish a kayak in the salt frequently, and nothing I've ever done gets a reel as dirty. (muddy boots in and out of the boat WILL get the boats cockpit dirty)

Picking a reel with a sealed drag is a GREAT idea, and I knowing how dirty the thing's going to get, I wouldn't spend tons on it.

I use a Ross Evo LT on my 7wt most. Its the size 4 and supposed to be for 7-9wt lines/rods, but its slightly too light for my 7. I wouldn't hesitate to pair it with a 6wt.

Another wonderfully light option is Nautilus' FWX. You could go with the 7/8wt size, have tons of backing capacity and very fast retrieve (due to arbor size) and still have it balance your 6.

Anything from Lamson would also work well, due to the completely sealed drag. They get lighter per their capacity/retrieve-rate as you go up in price, so choose accordingly.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 01-24-2011, 10:51 AM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future

A second vote here for Orvis Battenkill Large Arbors. Got a batch of 'em, and work them hard...they do fine.
Old 01-30-2011, 02:12 AM

gbfowler will become famous soon enough

I love the nautilus's as well!
Old 01-30-2011, 02:34 AM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

gary,
great choice. the orvis bla's are one of the best reels made these days in the "dont mortgage your house" range. great reels and wonderful drags with a good 25 year warranty.

ARFE
Old 01-30-2011, 08:34 AM

BlueDun has a spectacular aura aboutBlueDun has a spectacular aura about

I have the Xi2. I believe the color scheme is similar. Here is mine paired with a silver Rogue (Rogue 4 on an 8 wt):

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.