The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2009, 10:00 PM

jefwel is on a distinguished road
Default Any Opinions on Sage 1600 and 1800 Reels?

I'm looking to buy a Sage Flight, 5wt 9ft. in the coming days, and I was wondering if anyone has any opinions on the Sage 1600 and/or 1800 series reels. I have an Orvis Battenkill Large Arbor--the older version--for a 5wt., but it doesn't hold much backing/line. Therefore, I thought about selling it and getting a new reel. Any thoughts and opinions on a reel for my new rod? I currently have a Galvan Open Back, Orvis Battenkill Mid Arbor and the Orvis Battenkill Large Arbor I mentioned above. The Galvan is the only reel I've ever had that wasn't an Orvis, so I don't know much about the other brands. It's an awsome reel, it's just expensive. By the way, I'm fishing for trout on medium to large rivers with this rod. I'd appreciate some feedback and some opinions...
Old 06-03-2009, 11:33 PM

imxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of light
Thumbs up Re: Any Opinions on Sage 1600 and 1800 Reels?

keep the galvan.
Old 06-04-2009, 12:27 AM

troutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Any Opinions on Sage 1600 and 1800 Reels?

I use the 1850 and I love it. Works great and it's only $139.00. Spare spools are only 55 bucks too.
Old 06-04-2009, 01:10 AM

ezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the rough

those sage reels caught my budget-minded eye too. keep in mind they are not fully machined reels. there's a trend in manufacturing which i think will increase in how these are produced. it's a hybrid process and the lamson konic is similar. still, depending on the conditions you fish there should be no problem at all, if one believes a fully machined reel is higher quality than these new hybrid designs.

now i too say keep and fish the galvan. GREAT reels. they're "expensive" because they're made by a small company in the US and made to last and since you've already made the initial outlay of funds, why not stick to that? but it seeeeeeeems to me.... you've been bitten by the common gear-whoring virus which is often found running rampant among fly types and that's OK. just don't be in denial. ;-)

if you're looking for a large arbor reel and want to find something in the same price range as those sage reels and accumulate something other than orvis (and that's OK)... there are closeout reels out there right now including lamson velocities. i picked up a 3.5 2008 model for $145 and it's fully machined.

but i'm off on a tangent. i too would like to hear of 1600/1800 reel users' experiences. sage's 2000 series is quite sexy and a step up from the looks of the 1600//1800 models. yes, aesthetics are equally important to me as function. lol

eric
fresno, ca.
Old 06-04-2009, 08:52 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

I'm fishing a 1680 on my 7wt (4pc Quarrow, not especially light) and have been quite pleased with it. Its actually larger diameter than my older Lamson Velocity 4, but weighs considerably less. The drag is smooth and its quite large and light for such a cheap reel. That said, I haven't had a fish really give it a work-out in the few months I've had it.

All this applies to the 1650 as well, except its slightly on the heavy size for a 5wt reel. Its built almost exactly the same as the 1680, which is mostly great, but makes it considerably heavier than a Orvis BBS, for example. I was looking into one for my 8' 5wt and it was a good bit heavy. I would expect it to balance a 9' 5wt quite well.

I looked into the 1800 series as well, and the only difference I could see is that its a bit prettier, and has a fancier handle and neoprene case instead of a velour bag. Difference not worth my $40.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 06-04-2009, 09:33 AM

troutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to behold

I've had a few fish give my reel a good workout this year and it worked out quite well. Great investment IMO. The drag works really smooth.
Old 06-04-2009, 09:50 AM

A couple of you suggested that I keep my Galvan... I actually never suggested that I was going to get rid of the Galvan. It's my favorite of all the reels that I have. My point is that I currently have the Orvis Battenkill LA (older version), and I'd rather have something else that holds more backing and line. When I reel in all the line when storing the reel, the line is so crammed in that it is hard to operate. On the other hand, I supppose I could just cut out some of the backing.

I was just trying to educate myself on some other types of reels, as I've always stayed with Orvis reels, and for no particular reason.
Old 06-04-2009, 09:52 AM

Something I should have pointed out: the Galvan reel is a 4wt., therefore, I'm looking specifically for a 5wt. reel for trout.
Old 06-04-2009, 12:57 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi jefwel,

Galvan is my favorite trout reel. You must have an OB-3 which holds a 4wt line and 100yds of backing. The same reel will hold a 5wt fly line and 80yds of backing. I would be fine with the 5wt and the 80yds of backing. Why don't you just buy another spool for you Galvan?

If you want more backing go to Gel Spun or Power Pro and you will have a bunch of backing. It is true that a new spool for the Galvan will cost as much as the other reels you are considering. If you just want a new reel then what we think doesn't matter.

Frank
Old 06-04-2009, 06:08 PM

ksbrowntrout2 has a spectacular aura aboutksbrowntrout2 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
Hi jefwel,

Galvan is my favorite trout reel. You must have an OB-3 which holds a 4wt line and 100yds of backing. The same reel will hold a 5wt fly line and 80yds of backing. I would be fine with the 5wt and the 80yds of backing. Why don't you just buy another spool for you Galvan?

Frank

Thats what I would do, I have a Galvan rush that Im in love with in a 4 weight line, and I have a 3 weight openback, Both are great reels, And Franks numbers are correct for the backing. 80 yards on a 5 weight should be plenty.