How hard is it to make a fly rod?

Waterboy

Reaction score
Hey guys how hard would it really be if I wanted to make my own 8wt fly rod for the salt and warmwater.
Any suggestions on parts and blanks for a tight wallet.:icon_surp

mean bone

Reaction score
I'm brand new to fly fishing. Still getting the fundamentals down on the basic cast.

What is the advantage of building your own rod other than the enjoyment of the process.

I notice that the kits are still pretty expensive. Does constructing your own give you a rod that would have cost you much more than if you had not done it yourself?

Thanks!

GRN

Reaction score
Not hard, and very rewarding... I suggest you find a local craftsman who is willing to coach you through the first one, gaining from their experience is invaluable... I paid a local guy (one of the most respected builders in the area) $50 and he was great, saved me a lot of time, frustration, and likely cost.

Guest1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada bor
Hey guys how hard would it really be if I wanted to make my own 8wt fly rod for the salt and warmwater.
Any suggestions on parts and blanks for a tight wallet.:icon_surp
It's not to hard. I have a custom rod business. I would be happy to help with any questions you have along the way or if you have a problem. Just drop me line and I'll do my best to help. Before you finish it, let me know and I'll tell you how to do a feather inlay. Can't have a custom fly rod without the feather inlay!