The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2009, 08:37 PM

Waterboy is on a distinguished road
Default How hard is it to make a fly rod?

Hey guys how hard would it really be if I wanted to make my own 8wt fly rod for the salt and warmwater.
Any suggestions on parts and blanks for a tight wallet.
Old 07-07-2009, 07:50 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How hard is it to make a fly rod?

If you can tie flies, you can easily build a rod.

First of all, read this
"Build Your Own Graphite Rod"

Then look at some kits like these. A kit is the best way to go for your first project.
Complete Rod Building Kits
Old 07-07-2009, 03:42 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Waterboy,

Rip Tide is right that a kit is a good way for a beginner to start with. Here is a link to Mud Hole. They also have a catalog that you should ask for. You can do it on line.

Frank
Old 08-11-2009, 12:34 PM

mean bone is on a distinguished road

I'm brand new to fly fishing. Still getting the fundamentals down on the basic cast.

What is the advantage of building your own rod other than the enjoyment of the process.

I notice that the kits are still pretty expensive. Does constructing your own give you a rod that would have cost you much more than if you had not done it yourself?

Thanks!
Old 08-11-2009, 09:17 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

http://sporting-goods.shop.ebay.com/...04,159043,3821

Just look to your hearts content.
Old 08-11-2009, 10:18 PM

GRN will become famous soon enough

Not hard, and very rewarding... I suggest you find a local craftsman who is willing to coach you through the first one, gaining from their experience is invaluable... I paid a local guy (one of the most respected builders in the area) $50 and he was great, saved me a lot of time, frustration, and likely cost.

I choose fly rods the same way I do women, motorcycles, and cowboy boots...
go with what ever feels good, and keep on hand as many as I can afford
Old 08-13-2009, 11:53 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy View Post
Hey guys how hard would it really be if I wanted to make my own 8wt fly rod for the salt and warmwater.
Any suggestions on parts and blanks for a tight wallet.
It's not to hard. I have a custom rod business. I would be happy to help with any questions you have along the way or if you have a problem. Just drop me line and I'll do my best to help. Before you finish it, let me know and I'll tell you how to do a feather inlay. Can't have a custom fly rod without the feather inlay!