The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2009, 12:48 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default 5wt Tip-Top

Guys,
I'm building up a no-name 10' 4/5wt IM6 blank I bought on eBay and have no idea what size tip-top it needs. For those that know a bit about this kind of thing, throw out your best guess for the size tip-top that blank needs. I'm thinking I'll buy 3 or so different sizes as this is cheaper than buying a caliper and then ordering a tip-top.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 08-24-2009, 01:19 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 5wt Tip-Top

90% chance it's a 5

Buy a bunch, they're cheap and when you really need one you'll be glad you did.
I've gotten to where I carry a few in my tackle bag all the time
Old 08-24-2009, 02:32 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Thanks RipTide, I ordered one each of 4.5-6 because your logic makes sense to me.

I just realized the guides won't match the seat, but oh well. This thing's going to be ugly no matter what. 3pc 10' dark brown blank is getting a switch rod handle, black single footed guides and strippers, plain gudebrod gold thread only, and thats it.

Old 08-24-2009, 03:24 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Earlier in the year, I pulled in to a spot to fish, got the rod out and went to string it up only to find that the ring had busted off the tip-top.
I got a new one out of the tackle bag along with a lighter and some tip-top cement and was ready to go in less than 5 minutes.
Disaster averted.

And this wasn't the first time either
Old 08-24-2009, 04:41 PM
Super Moderator

I fixed plenty of rods that way when working at the fly shop back when, having the ingredients on hand is a great idea.

I'm pretty sure that kind of quick fix actually led to a rod for Sage back when. The 886 RPLXi damn sure felt like a re-tipped 890- a little stiffer but almost exactly the same. I bet there was alot of groaning when the peons at the factory were told they'd have to build them with even length sections instead of just shortening the tip from the 3pc model.

Old 08-24-2009, 06:34 PM

This wasn't a short tip... only the ring broke off, the sleeve remained
The same thing has happened to me 3-4 times
A 'lucky break' I guess
Old 08-28-2009, 12:15 PM
Super Moderator

They came in (except for the size 5 of course, which was backordered) and the 4.5 fits best out of those I've got. Thing is its a little loose-ish. I suppose I'd have to get a size 4 to know if it would fit better but I don't have one.

How loose is too loose for a tip top? I realize that snuggest is best, but there's really not all that much difference in the space between the blank and inside of the tip top's tube when comparing a 4 to a 4.5, right?.

Old 08-28-2009, 12:24 PM

I'd bet you'd find that the 4 would be too small
They're only too large if it doesn't stay on (or looks ridicules )
Old 08-28-2009, 01:21 PM
Super Moderator

Ok, thanks. I'm planning on following Al Campbell's advice of cutting the tip of the blank back a bit so that section isn't made longer by the tip top itself. I suppose it might fit a little snugger after that cut.