Bamboo Rod Makers?

Bamboo10

Reaction score
"Hello, my name is Gary and I am a bamboo fly rod addict" and just wondering if there any others on the forum with the addiction of making bamboo rods?
GJ

wtex50

Reaction score
I prefer Boo. I fish primarily Grangers and Phillipsons from the late 30's and 40's. The feel is so much better than graphite IMHO.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Gary,

I do not build cane rods but have had the occasion to refurbish a few over the years. I do enjoy fishing with them and own a few. Below is a photograph of my 1964 Orvis Light Salmon rod. The fish are Pacific silver salmon weighing 13.5 and 14.5 lbs. The rod is an eight weight rod and has become my preference for all but king salmon. I have every reason to believe that the old wood could handle a king but I can't bring myself to risk such a wonderful rod.

Light salmon cane & silvers;
[/IMG]

jpbfly

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Beautiful silvers Ard...lucky to catch such fish...The only ones I've seen were at the fishmonger's:D and I bought a 7.5ft bamboo rod...I haven't used it yet:rolleyes:

Bamboo10

Reaction score
Hardyreels, those are some nice fish and also a very nice rod. Don't blame you for not using it on the Kings, sometimes there is a place for graphite rods. I built a Gillum 7 wt. Light Salmon that I really like and have a couple of tapers for a 8 wt that I hope to get started on soon.
The only bamboo rods that I own that I didn't build are a couple of Phillipsons, picked them up and just couldn't walk away without them.
GJ

docdahlonega

Reaction score
I have been fishing bamboo for about a year now and absolutely love it. I've built two rods, and am on my first solo project.It's hard to explain, but it's just a great way to fish.

Bamboo10

Reaction score
I have been fishing bamboo for about a year now and absolutely love it. I've built two rods, and am on my first solo project.It's hard to explain, but it's just a great way to fish.
The best description that I ever heard was one fellow said, " Fishing this rod is just Magic"

Did you build your first rods in a class? Good luck on your solo project and be sure and post some photo's when its done.
GJ

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm curious, are we talking about selecting cane then planing gluing etc. and actually creating the rod from scratch, or the finishing of cane blanks? My question is not meant to demean those who are finishing from blanks but there are substantial differences between finishing and building a rod.

docdahlonega

Reaction score
I built my first two in an Oyster class. I fish one, and gave the second one to my son. Yes, we started with a culm of boo. We split it, planed it, glued, and several hours later we had a rod. I caught the bug and have purchased the equipment to do one on my own. It will probably take awhile, but I'll post pictures when I'm through.

Bamboo10

Reaction score
I am just a hobby builder, I don't try to sell any rods, just do it for my own use and donations to TU, FFF, etc. for fund raisers. I also start with a culm of bamboo and after a lot of work, I end up with a finished rod. The one thing that I like about making my own is the fact that I can make whatever taper that I want or if I find a rod that I like, but if for example I think it would cast better with a little more stiffness in the butt section, you can modify the taper to get the rod that you want.
For someone who finishes graphite rods and wants to try bamboo I would recommend either buying a blank or taking one of the classes that are available. Several of the makers that I know have started out that way.
docdahlonega, I have met and talked to Bill, his wonderful wife and that adorable little dog on several occasions and he is a true gentleman. His rods and the engraving that he does are fantastic. Nothing but great reports on his classes.
GJ

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Gentlemen,

You have my admiration regarding your rod building accomplishments. I have never ventured into the realm of actually creating a rod but have been acquainted with a few fellows who build them. Please feel free to post photographs of your rods.

Docdahlonega, are you in Dahlonega Georgia by any chance?

Ard