The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2009, 11:15 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bamboo Rod Makers?

Ard they're navy or dark blue...I've only tested it in the gardenwith a Vivarelli and a #3 line,I've got a silk dt3 in a cupboard,I might use it too ....It's my first bamboo,I bought one because I thought every flyfisherman must own one.I've already fished bamboo rods for a friend of mine has got many wonderful ones,with some Pezon et Michel.
Old 09-21-2009, 09:18 AM

Bamboo10 is a jewel in the roughBamboo10 is a jewel in the roughBamboo10 is a jewel in the rough

I had a chance to cast one of those rods and I know that you will be pleased. Be sure and post a photo of the first fish you get on the new rod.
GJ
Old 09-22-2009, 04:54 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbbfly View Post
It's my first bamboo,I bought one because I thought every flyfisherman must own one..
J-P,

I'm getting the same feeling. I've been doing a fair amount of surfing on the web to look at the offerings from some of the manufacturers, but there seem to be a lot of choices; lengths, weights, solid-built, hollow-built, with and without carbon fiber at the ferrules, ferrule composition, etc. So, I'm now in information overload and have been purchase paralyzed for some time now as a result of it.

The aspects that I'd be looking for in a bamboo rod are: 1. lightness, 2. feedback from the blank, 3. smoothness in the flex, 4. good cosmetics. I have a local builder that I've talked to, but I haven't made a move yet.

Ideas??
Old 09-22-2009, 10:03 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Allan,here's the whole story.I've been fishing for long and thought it was time to own a bamboo rod.I'm a Scott fan as you know but didn't want to spend $2700 on a rod.So I started searching one on e bay.I noticed some made by Dave Cottengim(lublgrud) which really look nice.I felt this man is an enthusiast who really loves his job,he's got excellent feedbacks.I contacted him and he told me he could ship a rod to France.I placed many beads on several rods but unfortunately couldn't get one...One day I saw the one I have,it was new and sold by a rep.I investigated a little and found this rod was sold $1200 by the South Fork Rod Company.So I decided to buy it...for $200.When I got it I noticed one of the tip ferrule was a bit lose and some slight marks on the bamboo...but for that price I was glad of my purchase.
I'm not an expert so,that'll be enough for me.I'll lend it to you with pleasure if we ever fish together.
Old 09-22-2009, 10:16 AM

Bamboo10 is a jewel in the roughBamboo10 is a jewel in the roughBamboo10 is a jewel in the rough

Pocono:
What kind of fishing are you looking to do with the rod, what weight and length were you thinking about?
The good thing about the bamboo rods are there are a lot of tapers to choose from and the bad part is the same thing. That is why I highly recommend that you try out the rods before you buy.
You just missed a chance to go to a bamboo rod makers gathering at the Catskill Fishing Center up in Livingston Manor, just a couple of weeks ago. Makers from all over the country come to these gathering with rods, information and knowledge. You have the opportunity to try out a lot of different rods and decide which one you like. There are several rodmakers in PA and may have booths set up at the local fly fishing shows, which is also a good place to try out a bamboo rod.
GJ
Old 09-22-2009, 10:27 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamboo10 View Post
I had a chance to cast one of those rods and I know that you will be pleased. Be sure and post a photo of the first fish you get on the new rod.
GJ
I'll try to post a pic...hope it won't be too big....bamboo rods look so delicate and fragile
Old 09-22-2009, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbbfly View Post
I'll try to post a pic...hope it won't be too big....bamboo rods look so delicate and fragile
Bamboo is a lot tougher than it looks, I let a friend use one of my rods a 6 ft. 3 wt. and he took a 24" brown trout on it. Bamboo rods are made to fish, not to hang on the wall and admire.
GJ
Old 09-26-2009, 07:46 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:Bamboo rods are made to fish, not to hang on the wall and admire.
GJ
That's trueYesterday evening I had a look at the weather forecast and as they said it was going to be a fine day with no wind,I decided to test my bamboo rod at last.It's not the first time I use one,a friend of mine has many and sometimes takes one when we go fishing together,and as I often swap rods with my buddies I used some for a few minutes.So...today I put all my stuff in the car...before leaving I thought it might be a good idea to take one of my Scotts too just in case I would be quickly fed up with the bamboo.Now I know I was wrong,wrong too to have left this rod for so long in a cupboard
I rapidly felt fine with it,watching the nice loops flying in the air and my "cul de canard" falling like a snowflake on the surface.All you have to do is to be "gentle" and everything is smooth and easy.I caught a good number of fish and a few decent ones...it was a great experience...now I've got a new reason to go fishing....if I needed any
Old 09-27-2009, 10:09 AM

Welcome to the madness my friend, but beware bamboo fly rods are like potato chips, you can't stop at just one!!
Glad that you enjoyed your new rod, and you quickly discovered the secret to casting bamboo rods, just slow down and let the rod do the work.
GJ
Old 09-27-2009, 04:27 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamboo10 View Post
Pocono:
What kind of fishing are you looking to do with the rod, what weight and length were you thinking about?
GJ
I fish mostly freestone streams in the Poconos; just like the Catskills; same mountain range, but in a different state, PA vs. NY. I fish mostly graphite and glass rods. For the smallest water, I use a 7'6" 3 wt. and for the larger water, like the Lehigh River or the Delaware, I use a 9'0" 5 wt. An 8'0" 4 wt. fills in for me between the other two rods. Most of the fish that I'm catching are in the 8-15" range. What would you recommend for a quality starter bamboo rod (I did listen when you compared bamboo rods to potato chips!).