The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2009, 08:44 PM

Bamboo10 is a jewel in the roughBamboo10 is a jewel in the roughBamboo10 is a jewel in the rough
Default Bamboo Rod Makers?

"Hello, my name is Gary and I am a bamboo fly rod addict" and just wondering if there any others on the forum with the addiction of making bamboo rods?
GJ
Old 09-16-2009, 08:53 PM

wtex50 will become famous soon enoughwtex50 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Bamboo Rod Makers?

I prefer Boo. I fish primarily Grangers and Phillipsons from the late 30's and 40's. The feel is so much better than graphite IMHO.
Old 09-16-2009, 11:40 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Gary,

I do not build cane rods but have had the occasion to refurbish a few over the years. I do enjoy fishing with them and own a few. Below is a photograph of my 1964 Orvis Light Salmon rod. The fish are Pacific silver salmon weighing 13.5 and 14.5 lbs. The rod is an eight weight rod and has become my preference for all but king salmon. I have every reason to believe that the old wood could handle a king but I can't bring myself to risk such a wonderful rod.

Light salmon cane & silvers;
[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 09-17-2009, 06:18 AM

wtex50 will become famous soon enoughwtex50 will become famous soon enough

Hardy -
SWEET!!!!!! nice outfit and beautiful fish.
Old 09-17-2009, 02:48 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Beautiful silvers Ard...lucky to catch such fish...The only ones I've seen were at the fishmonger's and I bought a 7.5ft bamboo rod...I haven't used it yet
Old 09-17-2009, 04:19 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Jean Paul,

What rod did you purchase?

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 09-17-2009, 07:31 PM

Bamboo10 is a jewel in the roughBamboo10 is a jewel in the roughBamboo10 is a jewel in the rough

Hardyreels, those are some nice fish and also a very nice rod. Don't blame you for not using it on the Kings, sometimes there is a place for graphite rods. I built a Gillum 7 wt. Light Salmon that I really like and have a couple of tapers for a 8 wt that I hope to get started on soon.
The only bamboo rods that I own that I didn't build are a couple of Phillipsons, picked them up and just couldn't walk away without them.
GJ
Old 09-17-2009, 07:43 PM
Administrator

Feel free to send some photos of that 7wt. via PM. to me. I would like to see your rod work.

Ard
Old 09-18-2009, 10:52 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Hello Jean Paul,

What rod did you purchase?
I bought a Redington...in fact it's not a Redington...It was made by Dave Redington...the founder of Redington rods who left the company when it was bought by Sage...so maybe it IS a Redington
Old 09-18-2009, 11:38 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Jean-Paul,

If you have any pictures please put them in a post so we can all see the rod.

Frank