The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2009, 09:40 PM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold
Default First Bamboo Rod

Well, I have an old 7wt fiberglass rod I keep on my wall above my desk, my buddy picked up a couple old bamboo rods at a garage sale a while back, and he picked up another one yesterday. To the point, I had been harrassing him about the two rods he picked up before, and this morning on our way to go fishing he handed me one of those. Now, it is not in great shape, needs some work, but it was free and I am happy to have recieved it from my friend.

The rod is a Jorgensen No. 84 The stickers are still readable except the top of the 84 is missing, so I guess it could be a 64 but I found one post on the internet where a guy says he has a No 85 which is, according to him, a 3 weight, and it really looks like it should be an 8 and not a 6.

The rod comes in 5 pieces each about 17 inches long which makes this a 7 foot fly rod.

The guides appear to standard snake guides and are intact with no loose threads though I can wiggle them a bit so I will have to figure out how to tighten those up or rewrap them.

The stripping guide is a ring type and is also a little loose - tighten or rewrap.

The hook keeper is in place and solid - no issues.

The Handle is in ok shape, no big gouges or anything.

The rod seat is kind of a brass/copper color and is not glued on. So I will probably tackle this first. I have never built a rod, and am not sure what to use, but found a post on building rods here that suggests 2 part epoxy for the reel seat.

The ferrules appear to have been stuck on the rod and then thread wrapped and glued. A couple of these are loose and will need to be reglued and wrapped. They also stick when I attempt to put them together (I did not force them) so it looks like a little emery cloth and steel wool will be needed to create a smoother joint.

So, basically it looks like I will have to rebuild it if I want to fish it. I would be learning from scratch, and I feel that if I have to re-wrap the guides, I will probably have to do them all so they will match.

I originally wanted an old boo rod and old reel to hang on my wall with my other rod, I could just put a little glue on this one and it would be fine for a wall hanger.

But after reading how everyone loves their bamboo rods, I am now thinking about buying a reel, line, etc (any suggestions on where I can find a low cost reel that will look and possibly perform on a 7ft 3 wt bamboo rod?) and fishing this rod at least once before it becomes a wall hanger.

Or,

I guess I could hit the local garage sales and keep my eyes open for one that will not need quite so much restoration and fish that one.

So many decisions -

I am pretty sure this is not a collectors item, but can't find much on the web about it. One person suggested that Jorgensen might be a European rod though I am not sure wheter that means it is a great, average or bad rod.

In any case, your thoughts, suggestions, etc would be greatly appreciated.

Dave
Old 10-04-2009, 10:30 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: First Bamboo Rod

Dave,

I don't have time to answer all of that in depth right now but will PM if you don't get a landslide of response.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-05-2009, 07:15 AM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

Thanks Ard

d
Old 10-05-2009, 11:19 PM

Well, on closer inspection, this one is gonna be a wall hanger. Looks like the bamboo is splitting on teh handle section of the rod. so, gonna glue it up and stick it on the wall above my desk.

Thanks Ard for offering info, but looks like I am still searching for the first fishable boo rod.

Dave
Old 10-06-2009, 10:09 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Strips that are separating are easily repaired.
Work some straight pins into the crack to open it up
Then glue and wrap with cord to clamp.... make sure it dries straight and true.

If you rather not do the work you're self, call around to different fly shops and even general tackle shops.
They'll either do it themselves or give you a list of people in your area that can do the job for you
Old 10-06-2009, 08:07 PM

Thanks Rip Tide, I figured this one was a goner, but now there is hope.

d
Old 10-12-2009, 01:00 AM

Hi again, I spent some time on this rod yesterday, got all the guides tight again and reglued the ferrels. Had to clean up both the male and female sides of the ferrels to get this to go together without binding, but they all go together now and a little candle wax on the male ends have helped to stop the sticking problem.

Tried to bind up the handle section and close that crack, but, after unwrapping the binding, the crack still exists, though, I am not sure it is a major issue other then cosmetics. The crack is now full of glue, and it is nead the cork handle - not a lot of flex in this 17inch section. Also, my buddy brought over 2 more pieces of the rod Saturday, seems they fell behind his work bench - so this rod is actually longer then originally thought (102 inches) and what a noodle when it is all put together 8.5 feet long and it can't be more then a 3 weight. The second piece he brought over was an extra tip section missing the ferrule, so gonna have to find one of these.

In any case it is together, I have an old Eagle Claw reel with DT3F on it and I am going to try to throw some dry flies with this rod when I get a chance and see how it fishes.

Wish me luck..

Dave
Old 10-12-2009, 08:42 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Wish me luck..
Good luck Dave

I think you're going to find that your 8' 6" cane rod is most likely a 6wt
Old 10-12-2009, 07:58 PM

Thanks Riptide,

You may be right, I fish a 5 wt all the time in graphite and this rod is way more flimsy when I bounce it, being new to boo though I may indeed be fooling myself trying to cast a 3 wt line with it.

d