The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2011, 12:52 PM

tiger2 is on a distinguished road
Default cabela's premium rod building tools kit

Hi all
Looking to gradually get into building rods. Is the cabela's premium rod building tool kit a good start for the price? Thanks your devine knowledge is needed.
Old 03-13-2011, 02:51 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: cabela's premium rod building tools kit

That would not be a bad way to go if you don't do simple wood work. You can make the stands yourself and save you a bit of money. I'll take a photo of mine and post them later today so you can see an easy set up to make. It has a few design differences I think make life easier. You still need to buy the turning motor and the tension device. If you plan to get fancy someday, you may want to buy two of the tension devices. When I post the photo I'll explain why I did things the way I did.
Old 03-14-2011, 06:03 AM

Smile Re: cabela's premium rod building tools kit

That would be great Diver Dan. The last rod I built and only rod was a 9ft reserve blank fly rod by sage in the early 80's at Herter's Sport Shop in Eau Claire Wisconsin. Watched the series on U tube by fly fishing fantantic and the baston rod building and have been reading on line. Lot of good advice on this site. Very appreciated. Last fished with my rod was in Sylvania wilderness area in Northern Michigan for caugh and release base on a shield lake. Was a great time. Plan on fishing for some pan fish...blue gills this summer. Plan on bullding at tiger eye fly blank probably a 8' 6 or 9' #5. I just purchase an allen xl #5/6 reel. Looking forward to your reply. Get me jaw jacking and I can't stop.
Old 03-20-2011, 04:21 PM
Banned

Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry about taking so long to get to this. But here are a couple of the ones I ade. I have built a ton of rods on these and they work fine. They didn't cost a bunch and I think probably work better in some ways.

This is the first one I made. The double thread tension devices are for blending wraps from one color to another. The rod tips have two purposes. The long high one keeps tension on the thread if you go back a tad like backing past a crossed thread. Trust me on this one, that's a good thing. The bottom rod tip is for doing weaves, so that I can do the threads to the left up on top where I'm looking instead of off on the side facing me by making the angle the thread hits the rod lower. Notice the small casting guide, bent flat and glued into hole, that the thread passes through. This is to make the thread pass flat through the tension device.

Click the image to open in full size.

If you noticed, there is a cork arbor and a turning motor on one end. This keeps all the needed stand stuff one one device, plus the weight helps keep it from sliding around when you are wrapping thread. To keep the cord out of the way, I did a velcro wrap thing on the back side.

The rod stands I made as simple as possible. Notice in this photo I have put two screws in the stand and took a piece of web strap and a couple of rubber bands and rig it like this. This is used for a number of things. Keeping thread tension on the background thread while you are flipping the threads on the left list weaving. You're right in the middle of a wrap and the phone rings. need both hands to do one or two turn inlays in a wrap, etc. When I made these, I made the upright piece longer than I needed to, drilled the hole, cut it off through the middle of the hole and saved the cutoff part. I put felt in the half hole on that as well and on the bottom. I made them about an inch tall overall. They work good for doing the writing on you rod and stuff like that.

I built a second set of rod stands with furniture wheels. This is great for long wraps like the under wrap for a cross wrap pattern or diamond wrap. Or in fly rods, the base for a feather inlay. It sucks for regular work though. Turn to easy and blanks have a tendancy to come off in the worst possible times. They do make a really good spine finder though.

I made a second rod wrapper pretty much like the first one. Notice the chuck on the turning motor. It's a used thread spool. I used an aluminum arrow shaft section to start off with, built up the outside diameter with tape, and epoxied the spool on. I then drilled a small hole in the shaft, tapped it and put in a set screw. That holds it on the turning motor shaft. I put four screws in it and use rubber bands hooked on the screws to hold the butt end of the rod in place when its turning. I use masking tape on the cork arbor. As a side tip, I bought lamp timers and set them to turn off 2 hours after I plug in the motor so I don't need to stay up and turn it off when I do a late night finish coat.

Notice on this one there is two spool holders but only one tension device. I use one of them for metallic thread. I place weight on top of the spool to get the right tension, because running metallics through a tension device will strip the mylar off.

I hope this helps.
Dan
Old 03-21-2011, 12:26 PM

Thanks Dan, simple and very functional. The rod tip is similiar to the metal piece use in the eco wrapper. I have one question yet. I see wrapper with rod holders and spool holders adjustable left to right or right to left using a track and bolt to secure them in place once you adjust them. Is this a feature to build into to wrapper? I like the two screws and rubber bands attached to the piece which holds the rod in place when you have a hands off situations. I am going to start simple wrapping and gradually go nuts as I chat with on line and discover how to get fancy. But right now I am going to focus on basics and build from there. Thanks for you help and will talk soon later.
Old 03-21-2011, 09:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger2 View Post
I see wrapper with rod holders and spool holders adjustable left to right or right to left using a track and bolt to secure them in place once you adjust them. Is this a feature to build into to wrapper?
You can if you want, but it just makes the whole works bigger for no real gain. It's easier to just move my little rod stands to where I want them with no nuts and bolts involved. If you have any questions at all, I'm more than happy to help you out. Just let me know.
Dan
imxer likes this.
Old 03-22-2011, 02:57 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Hey Dan, what is the "webbing" material you use for the rod hold-down? I like that simple function, I have been using a rubber band across the top of the stand, it works, but also sticks a little and is hard to get the proper tension.

Tiger2, I made a pretty basic wrapping stand recently and am working on a rod. Here's a the wrapping stand:

It's basically 3/4" plywood. It's about 22" wide, which seems to be a good length for a 4 peice rod between 8' and 9'. A couple carriage bolts, springs and some washers.

I came up with this idea for a sliding thread holder thing. I ripped a sort of dove-tail shaped dado on my table saw and then cut an piece to slide into the channel in the base. Then put screws eyes in to take the thread. It actually functions, I just have to slide it in position and then wedge a matchbook cover in the channel to keep it in place!
Old 03-22-2011, 10:51 PM
Banned

The webbing is just regular 1" nylon web strap. You can get it at most hardware stores, craft stores and cloth/sewing centers.

The way I keep my stuff lined up, because I have made a ton of 1 pc. 7' rods, and a few that are longer, is small bases, and I can just move any of it to where ever it needs to be because none of it is attached to the other parts. You may want to add the rod tip thing, just to help keep thread tension. Once you try it, I'm sure you'll wonder how you ever lived without it. Same thing with the strap.

Actually I originally came up with the strap idea when I helped in a rod building class. We had a completely blind guy take the class. In order to do it when you are blind, you either need three hands, or the strap. I also made him a pull string with a bead on a loop. The bead keeps him from pulling on the wrong thread. By the way, the guy made a 9' 6 wt rod that came out really nice. When I asked him what color thread he wanted to use, he said "You know I'm blind." I felt a little silly.
Old 03-22-2011, 11:15 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
You may want to add the rod tip thing, just to help keep thread tension. Once you try it, I'm sure you'll wonder how you ever lived without it.
Sorry, what is the rod tip thing? I should have asked, how does it work?

I made one small individual stand that I place outside the base stand to do the tip and ferrule wraps.
Old 03-23-2011, 06:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post
Sorry, what is the rod tip thing? I should have asked, how does it work?

I made one small individual stand that I place outside the base stand to do the tip and ferrule wraps.
Look at the picture where I have the thread going though. It goes from a spool, through a tension device, through a small guide, then up and through the tip of a rod section. What this does is keep tension on the thread if you have to back up and uncross a thread or something, but it also puts the thread/rod contact point at a good spot for setting and working. It will make your wraps look better just because of the constant even thread tension.