The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2009, 02:52 PM

TB3 is on a distinguished road
Default Batson Blanks

Hey folks,

I was looking into getting more into rod building, and wanted to build a couple rods on Batson blanks, basically because they're cheap and I'd feel comfortable practicing wraps, etc without destroying a 200 dollar blank. But if I can get a couple serviceable backup rods out of it too, that's all the better.

What are your opinions of Batsons blanks?
Old 11-15-2009, 03:38 PM

auntie_em is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Batson Blanks

Batson blanks are dandy!! Responsive, quick, attractive, reasonably priced. I've probably built a dozen or more, and have never run in to problems with them.
Old 11-18-2009, 10:06 PM

ksigtuck will become famous soon enoughksigtuck will become famous soon enough

I picked up a couple of 5 wts the build as gifts for Christmas. I have fished a 4wt before and it is truly a great rod. Hard to beat for the money.
Tuck
Old 01-13-2010, 08:41 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

I was just going to post this same question, haven't built any rods in awhile and I'm getting the urge...Glad to hear the good reports on the Batson blanks...

Dan
Old 01-13-2010, 02:03 PM

ksigtuck will become famous soon enoughksigtuck will become famous soon enough

The two 5 weights I built really turned out as beautiful rods. Gave them away as Christmas gifts so I have not cast either of them yet. I will have to report back on how they cast after I get Dad and my brother out on the water with them.
Tuck
Old 01-13-2010, 05:56 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I've built a 5wt and a 9wt on the Batson blanks
The 5wt I gave away. Didn't really care for it, can't really say why.

The 9wt was a problem from the start
The ferrules were not fitted together correctly. I broke that rod three times. Once on the first cast, all three the first day of use
I got sick of stripping it down for the parts and rebuilding on a new (free) blank so I ended up using different sections from different rods and piecing them together. One black, three green
(I did end up with a lot of free components in the deal)
Now I rarely fish that rod, I'm always afraid it will break even though the problem is solved.

I like the Pac Bay blanks. The Rainforest is a quality IM6 that you should be able to find at a closeout price as there's now a Rainforest II (IM7)
You'll like it
Old 03-27-2010, 05:45 PM

pegboy1 has a spectacular aura aboutpegboy1 has a spectacular aura about

I have not had any problems with the Batson RX7 blanks. The 4 and 5wts are pretty nice, but up around 8 and 9wt they get pretty moderate and limp. I agree with the poster above about the PacBay rods. The rainforest II is IM7 (47 million modulus) And is a fine rod at any price range, and its cheaper than the batson RX7 with a faster tip and a little more reserve power. IMHO.
Old 03-29-2010, 08:08 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

I used the Batson 10'8" 6wt blank for the switch rod I recently built and am happy to say I like it. It throws a great line and it's been useful also when nymphing with it.

Dan
Old 03-29-2010, 09:29 AM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

All the rods I sell are on Batson blanks. THEY are the best we have used.
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 03-30-2010, 07:40 PM

mundele is on a distinguished road

I really like Batson blanks. Utmost Enterprises has some "blem" (new old stock) blanks for sale really cheap now, if you don't mind a 2 pc.