The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2011, 05:10 PM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Let's do it again!! Build a fly rod, that is!!

Suppose I want to build this thing on a more expensive blank...would you not recommend that for a first build? Is it really going to be that bad??? I won't mind some aesthetic mishaps, but I don't want to ruin an expensive blank somehow.
Old 03-31-2011, 05:47 PM

Auntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to all

There is NO WAY you can totally ruin a blank. Unless you break it. But, that's not going to happen!!

You may build an Orvis, hand crafted bamboo, Sage, Winston, Batson, H&H, Tiger Eye or anything else. The key to building is to go slow. Step away if you get frustrated (not for very long ... just a short time out!). Practice before you wrap. Anything put on before the finish can be removed and redone.
Old 03-31-2011, 06:51 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausablebrown View Post
Suppose I want to build this thing on a more expensive blank...would you not recommend that for a first build? Is it really going to be that bad??? I won't mind some aesthetic mishaps, but I don't want to ruin an expensive blank somehow.
What size and weight you looking to build?
Old 03-31-2011, 08:18 PM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
What size and weight you looking to build?
Im not sure...but I would like to build something that I would grab to fish with all of the time; so I would like to get a blank of a rod that I have actually handled before and know that I like. I need a 7/8 wt rod, but I would rather build a trout rod, that is what I fish most of the time. Maybe some suggestions? Here's what I have: 7ft 4wt, 8ft 4 wt, 9' 5 wt. I don't like 3 wts, so 4wt is as low as I want to go. I would build a 6 or 7 but I would hardly ever use it. Maybe whatever blank I can find on closeout that I know I like.
Old 04-01-2011, 06:16 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausablebrown View Post
Im not sure...but I would like to build something that I would grab to fish with all of the time; so I would like to get a blank of a rod that I have actually handled before and know that I like. I need a 7/8 wt rod, but I would rather build a trout rod, that is what I fish most of the time. Maybe some suggestions? Here's what I have: 7ft 4wt, 8ft 4 wt, 9' 5 wt. I don't like 3 wts, so 4wt is as low as I want to go. I would build a 6 or 7 but I would hardly ever use it. Maybe whatever blank I can find on closeout that I know I like.
Check these out. Go through the rest of the pages. There are more blanks. Don't know if it helps.
CLEARANCE & SPECIALS - Product Catalog

http://www.wyomingflyfishing.com/Sag...ale-P3015.aspx

http://www.flyfishingcrazy.com/rodblanks
Old 04-01-2011, 09:22 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

I just finished up my second solo. Netcraft blank 6 wt 8 foot fiber glass. Fast action glass though so nice for streamers.
The rod blank is black so I put Black nickel Guides, Tip Top, Hook keep and a black reel seat with black nickel insert with an etched Trout. I did black wrapping....so total black out.

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 04-04-2011, 05:20 PM

Auntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to all

Awful quiet in here! Does that mean you all are looking through the catalogues? Or, do you have all the parts, and are ready to go?
Old 04-04-2011, 05:49 PM

khl is on a distinguished road

I actually spent the weekend looking at catalogues for both material and equipment...

BUT...I already have homework from the panfish fly swap and I have not one but two rods showing up in the next few days.

Joni's rod looks awesome though so I may end up missing yet another deadline at work

Kai.
Old 04-04-2011, 09:07 PM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auntie Em View Post
Awful quiet in here! Does that mean you all are looking through the catalogues? Or, do you have all the parts, and are ready to go?

I'm looking and thinking.

Maybe a 7' Lamiglass 3 wt.
Old 04-05-2011, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auntie Em View Post
I'm thinking about thinking about looking through the catalogues soon...Ill be a week or so before I get everything ordered.