The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2011, 08:49 AM

Auntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to all
Default Re: Let's do it again!! Build a fly rod, that is!!

mudbug .... you'll LOVE it!! Take a look at JannsNetcraft, #250734, a reel seat and grip all in one, all in cork, with sliding rings! It makes up beautifully on that blank!!

ausablebrown ... enjoy!!
Old 04-08-2011, 04:54 AM

304rodco has a spectacular aura about304rodco has a spectacular aura about

As a helpful tip you can get a fine drying motor out of an old microwave.

---------- Post added at 03:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:52 AM ----------

As a helpful tip you can get a fine drying motor out of an old microwave.

You might also check Landmark for components.
www.landmarkflyrodtubes.com

www.304rodcompany.com
Old 04-08-2011, 09:40 AM

Auntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to all

Operative words here, from 304rodco ... "OUT OF an old microwave". OUT, NOT IN!!!!!!
Old 04-08-2011, 10:29 AM

Davec921 has a spectacular aura aboutDavec921 has a spectacular aura aboutDavec921 has a spectacular aura about

Not sure if I will be building one or not.
Im talking to the company that makes the blanks that every one uses for the tadpole. If it all works out then yes Ill be making one. Im seeing what it will cost for them to cut the blank an fit it to make a 2 piece
Dave
Old 04-08-2011, 10:29 AM

khl is on a distinguished road

Need some suggestions.

My rods have arrived (YAY!). I've got a 6.5' #4 glass rod and a 9' #7 Nano from Allen flyfishing.

I definitely love to get into rod building so if anyone has suggestions for another rod, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Right now, I'm thinking maybe an 8' #5 in graphite?

Any other recommendations?

Thanks,

Kai.
Old 04-08-2011, 11:42 AM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Well, the Ace Of Spades works!

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 04-09-2011, 06:01 PM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold

I'm gonna order some stuff this week.

I wish I could find a Lamiglass 7' 3 wt in a 3 piece but it seems they no longer make them. I also wish I could find a color other than honey.

I will be fine with a 2 piece honey if it's all I can find, but is there another option out there?
Old 04-09-2011, 06:23 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbug View Post
I'm gonna order some stuff this week.

I wish I could find a Lamiglass 7' 3 wt in a 3 piece but it seems they no longer make them. I also wish I could find a color other than honey.

I will be fine with a 2 piece honey if it's all I can find, but is there another option out there?
How much do you want to spend on a blank? Heres a link to Mark Steffan. http://www.steffenbrothersflyrods.co...fiberglass.htm
Its worth the xtra bucks for a Steffan. At $135 for a 2 pc. $170 for a 3 pc. I have a 3/4w in a 3 pc. configuration and really like it. It's S glass and very smooth. Very well respected in the glass world. Plus the blanks are straight. The last few years it seems like Lamiglass is getting sloppy and the blanks aren't very straight.
Old 04-09-2011, 06:45 PM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
How much do you want to spend on a blank? Heres a link to Mark Steffan. Steffen Brothers Fly Rods
Its worth the xtra bucks for a Steffan. At $135 for a 2 pc. $170 for a 3 pc. I have a 3/4w in a 3 pc. configuration and really like it. It's S glass and very smooth. Very well respected in the glass world. Plus the blanks are straight. The last few years it seems like Lamiglass is getting sloppy and the blanks aren't very straight.

Hmmm, I'm going up that way in the next week or so to fish for pike, maybe I'll drop by.
Old 04-09-2011, 10:35 PM

darwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the rough

Joni,
That is an awesome looking rod you have there

I have a kit I started last year that needs to be finished, will be glad to join in after I get my taxes sorted.