The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2011, 06:22 AM

Liphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud of
Default Re: Let's do it again!! Build a fly rod, that is!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni View Post
I just finished up my second solo. Netcraft blank 6 wt 8 foot fiber glass. Fast action glass though so nice for streamers.
The rod blank is black so I put Black nickel Guides, Tip Top, Hook keep and a black reel seat with black nickel insert with an etched Trout. I did black wrapping....so total black out.

Click the image to open in full size.

Hi Joni.
I like the Reelseat & Insert,I'd like to build a 9Ft 4Pce8wt on a Tiger Eye Blank using them.
Brian

Last edited by Liphookedau; 04-16-2011 at 06:42 AM.
Old 04-22-2011, 10:06 AM

Auntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to all

OK!!! How's it coming along?? Everyone doing well?? No questions??

Brian, did I include this address for you earlier? http://www.schneidersrods.com/privat...rod_blanks.htm
Old 04-22-2011, 06:43 PM

Liphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud of
Thumbs up Re: Let's do it again!! Build a fly rod, that is!!

Auntie Em,thanks for your help.

As you are all aware of It's a hands on job,it's a new Ball Game to me checking out the Internet sites,even though I've had computers for years & always buying something on eBay.
Before when I made Rods a friend & I would walk into a Tackle Shop inspect & buy the Blanks & what gear we needed.
I sourced Blanks & Components thought I had the order ready,then I found a kit very similiar on another site,as well as other components I wanted much cheaper,so back to the notepad.
Then I found other sites I had to check out as often you get cross referenced,checking them all out has really been a marathon & very interesting.
Well Easter is here everyone have a nice Safe Easter as everything over here is virtually shut down until Wednesday as we have our Anzac holidays as well as the weekend so I'll be taking a break & catching up on family & close friends.
Brian.
Old 05-01-2011, 09:36 AM

Auntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to all

If you're a reader of the general posts, you'll note that I have completed my fly rod(s)! Stay tuned for the pictures. BTW ... I didn't know if a bamboo build, or a graphite build, or a fibreglass build, would be the most helpful for those building along. See'n's there were no question directed one way or the other, I did all three! (I know, freekin' AR!!!!)

Shortly!
Old 05-01-2011, 01:43 PM

Not nearly as pretty as Joni's pictures, but, hey!

top: 763-2 Lamiglas Honey w/ deep red wraps full cork reel seat/grip combination w/ sliding bands

middle: heavy bamboo 3 piece repair for a friend

bottom: 763/4-4 pink w/fuschia wraps acrylic reel set turned by a friend
Old 05-25-2011, 02:17 PM

pablotx is on a distinguished road

Can't decide between a couple of different blanks.... I am building a fly rod for my father. This is my first endeavor so I don't want to break the bank. He wants a 2 piece 8 weight for saltwater fishing. So, would you recommend a Tiger Eye, Forecast or Rainshadow? They all are priced pretty close. I also noticed that the Tiger Eye has a saltwater version. How much difference is there?

Also, since he plans on using the rod mainly in saltwater, should I be careful of certain materials with regards to reel seats, corks, etc?

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-25-2011, 08:07 PM

rvc is on a distinguished road

I'm brand new here and this is my first post. I came to this forum wondering if I could find how I would go about putting a new grip on an old 8' Shakespeare Wonder Rod my Father gave me 54 years ago when I was 8. Not much of a rod but it means something to me and I found out what I needed to know. A great forum!

The next thing I discovered were these two threads about building a new rod. It has been a while since others have posted here and I hope there is still interest. It has certainly stimulated mine and I have learned a lot from all that has been written in both threads. I'm looking forward to building a rod for myself, probably starting with the $87 version and then going up from there.

So thanks for all the input from others and I'm glad to be here.

RVC
Old 06-26-2011, 09:47 PM

Hi rvc.
You are in the right place as there are a lot of Rod Builders on this Site who make nice Rods,just look at some of the previous threads,the main thing they are more than willing to help.

Aunti Em.
Just about acquired all the Components,however I only have my new Wrapping & Drying Machines half completed,all of which have really taken time sourcing the gear as I discarded my original stuff I had.
Brian.

Last edited by Liphookedau; 06-27-2011 at 09:23 PM.
Old 06-27-2011, 10:02 PM

rvc.
I'll assume you Rod is a Fly Rod as Shakespeare made 2 piece WonderRod Fly Rods,the ones I have seen have been mostly white with Cork Grips,however the later Rods had Eva Grips.
Your job is quite easy,you will have to remove a Guide,a Winding Check,a Hook Keeper & of cause carefully cut away the old Grip.
Then very carefully clean up where you removed the Grip & other bits,fit & Glue the new grip in position,when the Epoxy has set you can then Bind & replace all the gear you removed,then Lacquer the Bindings,job Done.
The main thing is to take your time & don't rush,also be careful not to get any epoxy on the new Grip.
Always keep your Fingers Clean,the hardest part.

Cheers.
Brian.
Old 06-29-2011, 04:37 AM

rvc is on a distinguished road

Hi Brian,

Thanks for the info. Yes, it is an old 8' fly rod, probably for a #4 line. It's in pretty ratty condition but it's important to me so I'm going to get it back in shape. In fact I'm going to relplace all the guides as well as the grip and they are all ordered and on the way. It will be neat to fish with the old thing again and it will be a good place to practise before I begin my new rod.

Thanks for your interest and input.

RVC