The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2011, 10:26 PM

mrs_fysh is a splendid one to beholdmrs_fysh is a splendid one to beholdmrs_fysh is a splendid one to beholdmrs_fysh is a splendid one to beholdmrs_fysh is a splendid one to beholdmrs_fysh is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Flex Coat questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
A lot of rod builders use acetone to thin out thread epoxy. Lite is just the same as regular build epoxy just thinner. I doubt they use acetone, but I'll venture to guess it's the same formula (as regular build) with a little thinner of their choice in the resin, while the hardner looks to be the same viscosity as the regular build. I don't use FC or FC Lite, but if I use epoxy, it's Threadmaster, and recently TM Lite. I still use spar varnish too. Love that smell.
Thanks Mojo, good info to know.

ooops, this is fyshstykr posting from my wife's computr.
Old 04-01-2011, 05:46 AM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post
I've always assumed that varnish was only for cane rods and silk wraps. Do you use it on graphite blanks and thread wraps? I am familiar with spar varnish, I used to paint for a living and do love the finish.
I've use it on both graphite and glass. Ace Spar Varnish. Has uv protectant in it. It does take a lot longer to build up and dry. But it does make for some thin build up.
Old 05-24-2011, 12:20 PM

rrarods is on a distinguished road

Nice posts guys! I dont' use FC anymore either. I use Threadmaster Lite.. Love the stuff. Takes 2-3 coats to make everything perfect but I like the ability to do a coat, make thread trims and clean stuff up and then coat again. Gives me a chance to make sure everything is just perfect each time.

I mix my epoxy and then pour it out on tin foil. It does extend the pot life. By useing a Lite and doing thin coats you don't have to spend as much time on each particular guide and therefore you never run to long and have your epoxy harden up on you and get sticky before you are done.

As far as recoating you can do that in 4 hours 8 hours or longer if you like. Some times I put on a coat and then its a few days before I can get back to it. Never had a problem with doing that either.

I would stay away from thining mixtures. Just something about playing with what the manufacturer intended that bothers me. If you buy the Lite you don't need to thin it anyways. It is very thing from the start.

Custom Rods You Can Afford to Fish
www.rollingriveranglers.com