The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2011, 11:31 AM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future
Default Flex Coat questions

I put a coat of flex coat on the new rod last night. I made a full 6cc mix and got half way down the rod when it began to get too stiff to keep using. I was surprised at the quick pot life, but honestly I don't know how long it had been. I was down to 2.5 cc of each part and mixed it up and just got to the tip top before it was to sticky to use.

I can't find a pot life on any of Flex Coats materials.

This morning, 6 hours later, everything was set nicely but still tacky. I am curious what the full cure time is? I have to go back and trim a funky thread fray, probably try to remove some dust and build up a couple guide feet wraps that absorbed the epoxy. Can I go over the epoxy if it is tacky or best to wait? I want to use the Lite.

thanks,
Old 03-30-2011, 12:48 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flex Coat questions

Better to wait until dry. As far as using 'lite' over the top of the regular mix....I don't know, but I'm not sure I would.

The potlife of a batch is somewhat variable dependent on room temp, humidity, and evenness of your mix. Once it starts to thicken I'm done with it and will mix more if needed.
They say if you pour your mix on to a piece of foil that it will give you a little more working time.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 03-30-2011, 04:58 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Dean, PM me a phone number and a good time to call. I'll see if I can't help you on this one.
Old 03-30-2011, 06:04 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Dan has probably answered your question already, but if he hasn't, if you mix up another batch, put it on lightly and it'll kick the first coat.
Old 03-30-2011, 06:18 PM

troutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to behold

Did you use the epoxy accidentally? The wrapping finish should stay in a gel state for plenty of time to finish a rod up without it hardening when mixed properly.
Old 03-30-2011, 07:03 PM

304rodco has a spectacular aura about304rodco has a spectacular aura about

No offense to FlexCoat but I am not a fan. I used to have some Crystal Coat that you could mix up one-handed, drunk, blind-folded in a dark closet and it would always dry correctly. I have had too many issues with FC remaining tacky to use it anymore. I just use varnish for everything now. If someone can tell me the trick to making it dry correctly please let me know.
brucerducer likes this.

www.304rodcompany.com

Last edited by 304rodco; 03-31-2011 at 03:22 AM.
Old 03-30-2011, 09:39 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
Dan has probably answered your question already, but if he hasn't, if you mix up another batch, put it on lightly and it'll kick the first coat.
So you can put 'lite' over the regular?
I've only used one or the other, so I really don't know.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 03-31-2011, 12:06 AM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Thanks everyone. I should apologize for my unclear post. The epoxy is fine, it was tacky this morning, after 6 hours - but cured by this evening. I was jumping the gun with worrying about a sticky finish as it has happened to me before.

I mentioned the pot life issue as an aside.

My question was about using the lite finish. I did talk to Dan, (thanks Dan) and he gave some good advice about getting a second coat on within 24 hours.

I did trim a couple stray threads and smooth some dust spots and apply a second light coat.

All is good, so the rod turns.

Thanks again!
Old 03-31-2011, 06:48 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

A lot of rod builders use acetone to thin out thread epoxy. Lite is just the same as regular build epoxy just thinner. I doubt they use acetone, but I'll venture to guess it's the same formula (as regular build) with a little thinner of their choice in the resin, while the hardner looks to be the same viscosity as the regular build. I don't use FC or FC Lite, but if I use epoxy, it's Threadmaster, and recently TM Lite. I still use spar varnish too. Love that smell.
Old 03-31-2011, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
A lot of rod builders use acetone to thin out thread epoxy. Lite is just the same as regular build epoxy just thinner. I doubt they use acetone, but I'll venture to guess it's the same formula (as regular build) with a little thinner of their choice in the resin, while the hardner looks to be the same viscosity as the regular build. I don't use FC or FC Lite, but if I use epoxy, it's Threadmaster, and recently TM Lite. I still use spar varnish too. Love that smell.
I've always assumed that varnish was only for cane rods and silk wraps. Do you use it on graphite blanks and thread wraps? I am familiar with spar varnish, I used to paint for a living and do love the finish.