The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2010, 04:45 PM

Auntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to all
Default Re: Let's Build a Rod Together

Wow ... Thank you!!
Old 07-02-2010, 03:02 PM

patriotfly26 is on a distinguished road

I built my first rod during the winter and I'm amazed by yours. My wraps were nowhere near that nice how did you do it?
Old 07-02-2010, 05:10 PM

Auntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to all

Me? Or Mojo?? I think both of us would answer the same: PRACTICE. Thank you!
Old 07-02-2010, 09:25 PM

I've been thinking about this since I first answered your question, and want to encourage you to continue working on new rod blanks. Your first rod you build will always be that ... your first rod you build. My first rod was amazing ... an not in a really good way! I, to this day, find things I wish I had done differently, but there's no way I would even consider redoing that rod!! That was my first! And it's still my go to rod for so many applications. Keep up the good work! Wraps will get easier, placement of guides will get easier, finding the spline will get easier. All in due time! If the first one you built was perfect ... you wouldn't enjoy the next blank, and the next blank, near as much!! Fish it ... enjoy it!
Old 01-02-2011, 12:22 PM

bjweller has a spectacular aura aboutbjweller has a spectacular aura about

I have never done this before and may be in over my head. What kind of materials, tools, and space are needed?

"There comes a time in every man's life when he is either going to go fishing or do something worse."

-Havilah Babcock
Old 01-02-2011, 03:59 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi BJ,

I am sorry but this is an old thread and the build has be completed.

Frank
Old 01-02-2011, 07:36 PM

Brett,
Don't let the fact that this is an old thread stop you! Go back and read COMPLETELY the entire thread .... especially pages 3 and 7. EVERYTHING you would need is listed there (and a whole lot of other suggestions ... fun but certainly NOT needed!) Go to the suggested web sites, see what's there, see the reference books, pages, that are there, too.
THEN ... if you have questions, let me know. I'm always willing to help someone just getting started. I know mojo would too.
ps ... my rod build has already had a very full season, and is standing at the ready for spring thaw!
Old 01-22-2011, 05:35 PM

45fisher is on a distinguished road

I've built a few myself. You can count me in to help.

Larry
Old 02-05-2011, 10:25 AM

truckee bob is on a distinguished road

Nothing like catching fish with a rod you built yourself. I would be in, you can always pick up new tricks.
Old 03-01-2011, 08:53 AM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold
Lightbulb Re: Let's Build a Rod Together

Hi All.
I haven't build a rod since the late 80s watching this topic has me interested again as I suppose it's altogether different especially with the model materials blanks,hardware & fittings available so now I will check out different places for components as I would like to build an 8Wt 9' 4 pce & perhaps another 6Wt in 9'6' 4pce which I don't have.
I would like to build them preferrably on the Tiger Eye &/or Batson Rainshadow Blanks depending what's avalable.
Thanks for the tips,I will definately in future use the drywall tape to build up the Blank,however I might also have to ask how to inlet the feathers as I saw on Diver Dan's Rods.
Cheers.