The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2010, 07:07 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future
Default Re: Let's Build a Rod Together

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
I am a rod builder, so if there are things I can help out with, I'd be glad to do it.
You can help too Dan.
Old 01-21-2010, 03:05 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe I can help with some of the rod art type stuff, like feather inlays.
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 01-21-2010, 09:18 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
Maybe I can help with some of the rod art type stuff, like feather inlays.
That'll work. We'll start out with the basics. What rod weight and size. Then the blank. For a good price there are Tiger Eye blanks that are reasonably priced. I've never built one or cast one, but there are lot's of folks out there that really like them. We'll go over what we'll need to get started, where to buy the materials etc. Maybe now's the time to 'sign' up some people. Frank, how'd you want to do this.
Old 01-22-2010, 09:41 AM

Auntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to all

Mojo,
The Tiger Eye blanks are indeed beautiful blanks, and most reasonably priced, too! I've built probably a dozen or more of them, and they never cease to amaze me.
Only caution ... while fishing them. If you don't pay attention to your fishing, you can easily be distracted by the way the sun light plays on the tiger eye pattern in the rod!
Old 01-22-2010, 10:45 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Mojo,

Here is who has indicated they are in or are interested.

1. HuronRiverDan
2. Auntie Em
3. dmwphoto
4. wildtrout
5. tonysav
6. Ty 1 On
7. Diver Dan

I am not sure if Auntie Em and Diver Dan are going to make a rod or just help.

I think we have enough to get started. The Tiger Eye blanks seems to be well liked by many that have used them. I think the next step is to put together a parts list with prices so everyone knows what their project will cost for a specific sized rod. We need to tell everyone where to purchase the materials and then give them time to get every shipped and in hand.

Some Questions?

1. Is everyone going to make the same length/wt rod? Should we do a specific length/wt so the material list can be the same for everyone?

2. After we have a material list we need to advise where the materials can be purchased. If we can, it would be better to order everything from one place be each individual.

3. We need to advise what tools will be needed and how to make some basic things.

4. Some participants may find the cost too high or the construction is too complicated or too much work. So we need to reconfirm that everyone is good to go after they know what is involved.

We may stumble through this being our first time but in the end I think it will work out. This is going to be a great opportunity for anyone who has ever thought about making their own rod.

Frank
Old 01-22-2010, 11:11 AM

Auntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to all

OF COURSE count me in to build!! I never pass up an opportunity to get a new rod!!
Old 01-22-2010, 11:26 AM

dmwphoto has a spectacular aura aboutdmwphoto has a spectacular aura aboutdmwphoto has a spectacular aura about

I have decided to stand back and observe this process. I have no knowledge of the tools or techniques involved but am very curious.

To me, the journey of learning is almost more fun than arriving at the destination of knowing.
Old 01-22-2010, 12:37 PM

Dave,
If you can take the pictures you do (and I've seen them!), if you can flip a switch, load film, advance a shot ... you can build a rod!!!!! Phone book, tea cup, cardboard box, scissors ... got that stuff hanging around the house?? You can build a fly rod!!
You really should give it a try!! If you get totally swamped, send it to me, and I'll finish it for you! NO! That doesn't go for all of you! I'm just trying to prove my point!! T'ain't no way I'll see that rod!!
Auntie Em
Old 01-22-2010, 03:06 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Dave,

The tools you need you probably already have at home. There is nothing special to buy if you don't want to. If you have ever considered making your own rod this is the a great time to give it a go.

Frank
Old 01-22-2010, 04:59 PM

dmwphoto has a spectacular aura aboutdmwphoto has a spectacular aura aboutdmwphoto has a spectacular aura about

alright Auntie em and Frank I will hang in there and see what this is all about.

To me, the journey of learning is almost more fun than arriving at the destination of knowing.