The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2010, 06:18 PM

Auntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to all
Default Re: Let's Build a Rod Together

Good on you!!!!!
Old 01-22-2010, 08:45 PM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

All, I have never built a rod, but am possibly interested in giving it a whirl. Been thinking about buying a 10 ft 7/8 weight for pyramid lake fishing, not sure it would be any cheaper to build one, but then it wouild be a little more personal maybe. Or would this be a bad idea for a first rod build?

Dave
Old 01-22-2010, 10:31 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
I am not sure if Auntie Em and Diver Dan are going to make a rod or just help.
I can build one for photos of the steps if we need to. I was planning to build a 12 wt. and another spey rod anyway. Something in the 16 or 17 foot long zone for the long belly lines. I turn my own grips in case anyone wants to do that also. Not the cheapest way to go though.

---------- Post added at 09:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:26 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by webrx View Post
All, I have never built a rod, but am possibly interested in giving it a whirl. Been thinking about buying a 10 ft 7/8 weight for pyramid lake fishing, not sure it would be any cheaper to build one, but then it wouild be a little more personal maybe. Or would this be a bad idea for a first rod build?

Dave
Not a bad idea. It's not going to be any harder than any other fly rod. Longer just means more guides, and once you do one....
Old 01-23-2010, 07:34 PM

dmwphoto has a spectacular aura aboutdmwphoto has a spectacular aura aboutdmwphoto has a spectacular aura about

I am anxious to order components so let me know where and the basics I need.

To me, the journey of learning is almost more fun than arriving at the destination of knowing.
Old 01-23-2010, 11:57 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Guys and gals, hopefully something is coming up real soon.
In the mean time, all the ones interested in building a rod, just Google up fly rod building. I think the first step is to understand what you're getting yourself into Take some time to get acquainted with the hobby/obsession. You Tube has some videos on rod wrapping also.
What you're going to need component wise to start out-
Blank
Reel seat and insert- Uplocking, downlocking, sliding band, uplocking sliding band, downlocking sliding band. Nickel silver finish with wood inserts, aluminum- plain and anodized hardware, solid aluminum seats (usually for salt water apps)
Cork rings or cork grip- many styles to choose from
Guides- stripper guide and snake or single foot guides and a tip top. A rule of thumb for the number of guides is at least one more than the length of your blank. 7' blank- 8 guides and a tip top. 9' blank, 10 guides and a tip top. Etc. Etc.
Thread- your choice of color(s) Thread colors depend mainly on the blank color- something to compliment each other.
Rod builder epoxy (for the reel seat and grip), thread epoxy- High build (thick football type coating) Lite (thinner and less obtrusive IMHO) I like Permagloss or spar varnish too.
Some razor blades for cutting the thread.

Main Options are, Winding check-nickel silver, rubber, etc. Hook keeper- some people just don't like them.

Other goodies- feather inlays, rattan grips, burnt, copana, burled cork rings.
Dan, Auntie Em- any other suggestions?
Old 01-24-2010, 08:54 AM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

As this is potentially my first build, any recommendations for a vendor for the stuff, and also, I have no clue which reel seat, which blank (tiger eye -from who?) what size quides, etc....I get the 10 guides and tip top for a 9 foot rod, but what size tip top? what size guides, etc?

Oh, and I have be perusing some videos, a lot of them have special wrapping rigs, and stuff for wrapping on guides and reaming out cork, etc. we are going to do this by hand right?

d

d
Old 01-24-2010, 09:50 AM

Auntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to all

It may be helpful to check out the site by J. Stockard fly fishing JS Fly Fishing: Rod Building Supplies, Fly Tying Materials They have a very good graph showing the size and numbers of guides for whatever size rod, and also a good spacing guide, showing where to position the guides on the blanks. This, while not gospel, is a good aid. Hook and Hackle also has good directions for building a rod, and a chart for numbers and placements of guides. Hook & Hackle Fly Fishing Tackle, Fly Fishing Supplies, Fly Tying Supplies and Fly Rod Building Supplies I am in NO WAY affiliated with either of these businesses, I like them, I like the people you deal with at each of them, they're fair priced, and customer orientated.

Webrx ... sorry I didn't address your other question. When you order your rod blank, ask the people you get it from to measure the tip, and order a tip top to fit. And, yes, from my position, everything will be done by hand. If you're going to automate it all, why bother doing it?

Last edited by Auntie Em; 01-24-2010 at 10:22 AM.
Old 01-24-2010, 11:36 AM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

As I said in my previous post, I have something hopefully coming down the pipeline. Be patient please.
Now like our Auntie mentions J Stockard, Hook and Hackle, I also use Anglers Workshop Angler's Workshop - Fishing Rods, Reels, Rod Building and Fly Tying
Golden Witch Golden Witch Technologies, Golden Witch Fly Fishing
I really like Snake Brand Guides Snake Brand - Where Elegance Enters the Sport
For blanks, Midwest Custom Rods have a great price on Tiger Eye blanks.
Custom Rod Building Supplies .com - Home
I was hoping to get Steve from Midwest Custom Fly Rods here on the site. The guy does some fantastic builds too, and is quiet knowledgable on the subject.
For the price of a TE blank, if you screw it up (and that's pretty hard to do), it won't set you back like a Sage blank would.
Old 01-24-2010, 02:55 PM

Oh, OK ... but I'm sitting on my hands!! They're just itching to get going!!
Old 01-24-2010, 03:49 PM

OK I will sit on my hands too until you give the green light.

d