The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2011, 01:10 PM

bojonjovi is on a distinguished road
Default Wood Grips

I am planning on building a couple new rods 4/5wt 8feet and 7.5 feet. I have ordered some cork grips then I saw a wood grip that looked very cool but I thought it would unbalance a light weight rod. Then I started thinking about light weight woods. Of course balsa comes to mind but it is very fragil, then I thought about aspen and thought that might work. Just curious if anyone has tried wood grips or if it a bad idea all together. I know during World War 11 rods came with wood handles due to cork shortage. Any thoughts on the subject?
Old 04-08-2011, 02:21 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wood Grips

Gary Anderson is a custom rod builder based out of Southern Oregon. He makes some of the most beautiful rods that I have ever seen. Gary is known for making grips from wood and different types of cork. Check out his website for pictures of his work.

MP
Old 04-09-2011, 07:41 AM

Auntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to all

One of my favorite grips was crafted by a friend from birch bark. Beautiful, light weight, non-slip! Plus, it warms in your hand!
Old 04-09-2011, 10:33 AM

I had not thought of bark. Hmm I thought I smelled something burning but I must have been thinking.
Old 04-09-2011, 11:06 AM

Auntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to all

Yep, small-ist circles of flat bark, glued up, and shaped to fit! Finished off with varnish. Absolutely beautiful.

Do we need to call the fire department??
Old 04-09-2011, 04:10 PM

304rodco has a spectacular aura about304rodco has a spectacular aura about

I have made several wood grips. I have used cherry and spalted maple mostly. I haven't weighed them, but I doubt there is a huge weight difference.

Click the image to open in full size.

www.304rodcompany.com
Old 04-09-2011, 07:04 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Very nice Lee. I really like splated maple.
Old 04-09-2011, 10:28 PM

darwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the rough

Very nice craftsmanship.
Old 04-10-2011, 09:05 AM

Very cool!!!
I may be going a new direction with my rods.
Old 04-10-2011, 12:32 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post
Gary Anderson is a custom rod builder based out of Southern Oregon. He makes some of the most beautiful rods that I have ever seen. Gary is known for making grips from wood and different types of cork. Check out his website for pictures of his work.

MP
Have one of those on my Anderson 5wt 2-hander. I think he called it a 'Cobra Hood.' Sweet stick bye the bye for summer run fishing. Long/light enough for small Steelhead (our usual) but if you hook one of our October 'B-runs' it will meet the task of a 10#'er.

fae

Edit: Random thought here only as the full wood handled rods above are BEAUTIFUL! But wouldn't those be pretty slippery when wet?