The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2010, 11:00 PM

romad is on a distinguished road
Default Newb question about thread

I'm looking at building my own rod, a 7'9" 4wt., and using silk to wrap. The blank is a TFO Finesse, dark green. The closest to the color I want is YLI 4/0 and 6/0 deep forest green. I also want a silver band at the end of each wrap, Gudebrod size A metallic. Am I going to have a problem with the silk going too opaque, drastically changing color, or other problems with silk I should know before I start? Should I keep looking till I find the nylon that really fits what I want? Experiment and see which suits me? I just don't have any extra sections to use for a test base.
Old 02-10-2010, 11:06 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Newb question about thread

Hi,

You could take a piece of dowel rod and paint it dk. green or just leave it bare, then dress it with the silk and apply the finish. This will tell you what is going to happen when you apply flex coat or whatever you are using to the wraps.

Have you done an intro here yet? There are lots of rod finishers here with more knowledge than I on this issue.

Welcome to the group,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 02-10-2010, 11:36 PM

romad is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Newb question about thread

Sorry, haven't done an intro. My name is Jeff from SC. I was looking at components last night and found this site tonight. I won't be saving money on this job, actually spending close to twice as much as buying the complete rod. Might just build a few inexpensive ones before I get to this one. Your name got me thinking how much I miss England. Could have picked up some nice old Hardys for close to nothing. I think I'll email an old Scottish fishery manager I know and see what he's got now. Thanks for the help. I'll be back for more help and hopefully give a little useful advice.