The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2010, 01:52 AM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Inlays.....

Can someone shed some light on doing inlay work using feathers? or anything else for that matter?

I'm sure you would need to degrease them, and cut out any thick stems before trying to apply. What else needs to be done as far as prep work?

How about the actual application process. What's involved?

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 02-22-2010, 01:59 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Inlays.....

I have just what you need. I have it on DVD. Including the way I came up with for doing feathers with round spots like Grey Peacock Pheasant. The standard method distorts the dots. It's on my pre-software version. I am in the process of doing it better. PM me an address and I'll send you a copy.
No degreasing, but thick stems are sort of a problem. It's all in the DVD.
Old 02-22-2010, 02:01 AM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
I have just what you need. I have it on DVD. Including the way I came up with for doing feathers with round spots like Grey Peacock Pheasant. The standard method distorts the dots. It's on my pre-software version. I am in the process of doing it better. PM me an address and I'll send you a copy.
No degreasing, but thick stems are sort of a problem. It's all in the DVD.
Hi Dan.
Thank you very much. Will be sending you a p.m. shortly.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 02-22-2010, 10:25 AM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

This is a great place. Mighty nice Dan.
Old 02-22-2010, 12:32 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm working on a complete video on the steps for building a fly rod. I'm going to break it up into tem minute sections so I can post it on you tube and imbed it in the thread "let's build a rod together" on this forum. I have two fly rods in the works right now and am doing both ways to do a feather inlay. Here is a picture of my rods with feather inlays, a Tarpon weave (2nd from the top),and a cross wrap. You don't see weaves or cross wraps much on fly rods. If you look at a couple of the feather inlays, you see the Grey Peacock Pheasant feathers with round "eyes" in them. Getting those to stay round is the reason for the second way to do inlays. Building fly rods is not as hard as it sounds. I recommend trying it to everyone. It's very satisfying to catch a fish on a fly you tied, even more so when you built the rod as well.
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 02-22-2010, 12:38 PM
Super Moderator

'Git er dun'

Oh my.....checkerboard inlay work on the cork, composite rings, colored cork, turned exotic wood handles, and feather inlays to boot!!
Nice work Dan.

Old 03-09-2010, 02:16 PM

ranger519200 is on a distinguished road

try this.......

The Rod Builder's Library - Feather Inlays
Old 03-10-2010, 09:07 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks Ranger, I've added the site to my favorites for future referrence.

Old 03-10-2010, 09:18 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Dan: That is some very nice work! You have made some gorgeous rods, I really like what you are doing to the handles!

Larry
Old 03-10-2010, 09:19 AM
Super Moderator

He does do some nice work huh Larry. Looking at his craftsmanship and talking to Dan has sparked interest in me for turning my own exotic wood handles for my spey rod.