The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2010, 10:51 AM

drnihili is on a distinguished road
Default Changing out reel seat

I don't think I'm up to building an entire rod yet, but I have a couple that I'd like to change the reel seats and maybe the cork on. How hard/doable is this?

One of them is my wife's rod. It's a Fenwick Classic Glass that is supposedly usable for either spin or fly (she only uses it for spin). Unfortunately it has a long cork grip with sliding rings to hold the reel. It doesn't work, so the real is currently held on with zip ties. In an ideal world I'd replace it with a reversible grip (Like on the old Eagle backpacking rods), but even a decent spin grip would be better than what it has now. But as I know nothing about rod building, I have no idea whether any of this is even possible.
Old 04-10-2010, 07:20 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Changing out reel seat

I think the reason that you haven't gotten a response yet is that what you're looking to do is actually more involved than building a new rod.

Switching out a fly reel seat couldn't be much easier. You stand the rod butt up in a pan of water on the stove and boil it to break the glue bond. Once you get everything cleaned up, you build up the space with a few rows of masking tape and glue the new seat on with epoxy.

Changing out cork is a much bigger project. Everything needs to be stripped off the blank section including any guides, the hook keeper, and most if not all decorative thread wraps and residual glue. This is because the new cork needs to be slipped down from the narrowest diameter end of the blank in order to fit tight.
All this isn't impossible of course and it would all be good practice if you wanted to get started rod building.
Old 04-10-2010, 10:44 AM

drnihili is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Changing out reel seat

Yeah, I was hoping for an easy starting project, this doesn't sound like it.