The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2010, 12:31 PM

cwg is on a distinguished road
Default Possible to salvage handle?

blank crushed, handle intact, salvageable? Or simply too much potential for real damage.
thought I'd replace the handle on one rod with the better one from the broken rod.
So, remove two handles in essence. Seemed like a possible winter/bad weather task.
thanks in advance, CWG
Old 05-25-2010, 02:06 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Possible to salvage handle?

I done it, but the short answer is..... No

If you bash the blank on both sides with a hammer it's possible to chip everything out but it's hardly worth it... even to a cheapskate like me.
Old 05-25-2010, 02:11 PM

Pity, that was what I sort of figured.
It looks tapered as well, so I'd have to pull the guides I'm guessing to thread the old handle onto the donor blank too.
m'eh...
Old 06-02-2010, 04:13 PM

Auntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to all

Aaaacckkkk! If you haven't thrown it away yet ... you CAN save the handle to use on a different rod. Put the end of the rod in a baggie and submerge it in boiling water for a few minutes. Remove it from the water, and using hot pad holders, grasp the end of the handle and the crushed rod and pull them apart. If it's not loose enough, repeat the process. The epoxy should break loose, leaving you a workable handle.
Old 06-02-2010, 04:47 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

errrr, I don't think he means the reel seat, Em
by the 'handle' I'm pretty sure he's talking about the grip
Old 06-02-2010, 07:49 PM

Auntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to all

Oooops! Never mind!!
Old 06-02-2010, 08:42 PM

Grip, reel seat, everything not rod- I have logged this into my memory for future use, good tip.
thanks, CWG
Old 07-20-2010, 08:12 PM

hardhat is on a distinguished road

I have tried the boiling trick and did not have any luck. If I really wanted to give it a go to save the handle and seat, I would try a drill and some files. I would break off the rod and try drilling out the glued part. Then I would go to work with a file. So in reality I would junk it and forget about it.