The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2011, 11:04 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Building a fly rod with whatever bits and pieces you could lay your hands on

Last week I worked a lot at home with odd jobs and in the garden...cleaning and trimming the hedges...Larry told me I worked like a slave ...So on Friday morning I decided it was time for a break. I brought back electric hedge clippers to my neighbour and when I was in his garden I noticed some bamboos in a corner.-Can I take one?
-Help yourself.What are you going to do with it?
-Well...a fly rod!
On Friday afternoon I started building the rod.I took the handle and reel seat of the Cortland I had broken last year,some guides from an old broken Marryat,some thread I found in the garage...
I sanded the bamboo and cut it the size I wanted,fixed the handle,then the guides.Unfortunately I broke the tip when putting the last guide....was not going to stop!!!I cut a piece of the Marryat graphite tip and here we go!!!Finally found a varnish spray in the garage and by seven the rod was ready to fish.So here it is:a 7’2 UNsplit boographite 4wt one piece rod jpb tapper.
That was a funny experience and I had a great time but the most amazing thing is that I tested the rod on Saturday and it casts very well.Hope Joni,Auntie Em,Dan,Lee and all the forum rod builders….will accept my apology.
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 07-31-2011, 11:17 AM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Building a fly rod with whatever bits and pieces you could lay your hands on

LMAO JP! Your too much.

Have you put a line on and cast it yet?

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 07-31-2011, 11:28 AM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future
Default Re: Building a fly rod with whatever bits and pieces you could lay your hands on

PLEASE get a video of yourself casting that baby!
Gary
Old 07-31-2011, 01:11 PM

Auntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to all

I REALLY want to see the casting and catching on that "beauty"!!!!!! What a hoot!!!!!

And thank you ... I needed that!
Old 07-31-2011, 03:06 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I love it! What weight do you think it is?
Old 08-01-2011, 10:59 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Knew you would LOYAO Fysh
I casted it in the garden and it works amazingly well
Dan I used a 4 wt line...
Auntie& Gary....I promise I will make a video...
Old 08-01-2011, 12:06 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

JP, we need more than a video of just casting, we need to see it bent with a fish on! What's the warranty like on it
Old 08-01-2011, 02:42 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatortransplant View Post
JP, we need more than a video of just casting, we need to see it bent with a fish on! What's the warranty like on it
Hey Gator....unconditional worldwide lifetime warranty on this rod
Should go fishing on wednesday...hope to see it bent with a fish on
Old 08-01-2011, 05:56 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Think you can make me one in a 12wt? I'm hard on my gear so I need a good warranty... et bon chance a mercredi!

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 08-02-2011, 01:45 AM
Super Moderator

AJ...an 80' 12wt....why not? There's a bamboo forest not far from home...
Have a look here:La Bambouseraie de Prafrance and here:La Bambouseraie de Prafrance)