The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2011, 03:36 PM

rockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of light
Default Spine on rods

On modern day glass, is there a spine that you need to determine in order to place your guides?
Old 08-06-2011, 04:24 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future
Default Re: Spine on rods

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockriver View Post
On modern day glass, is there a spine that you need to determine in order to place your guides?
Only if you want.
Old 08-09-2011, 12:51 PM

oarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockriver View Post
Yes there is.
Rick
Old 08-09-2011, 01:32 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

There always is because the manufacturing process is never perfect. With today's improved manufacturing processes and the amount of 3, 4 and 5 pcs blanks out there it's not as important as it used to be. In my humble opinion of course.
Old 08-16-2011, 02:19 AM

tourproto is on a distinguished road

As an avid golfer, this is a religious discussion for golfers as well as fishermen. All graphite rods (or golf shafts) will have a spine. For some it is more pronounced than others, but ALL will have a spine.

The guy who builds and blueprints my golf clubs built his own rig to find the "spine" on shafts. Pretty simple to do, using roller bearings that hold the shaft (or rod) with a slight flex. Then slowly rotate the shaft (or rod) and you will notice that at some point in the rotation, the shaft will "settle" into position, this is the location of the spine.

The religious argument starts on whether knowing where the spine is and installing a certain way will have a measureable effect on casting (or the golf swing).

I can't tell the difference in a golf club (and I am a much better golfer than a fly fisherman) but knowing that my clubs are all "spined" leaves me with one less thing I can blame when I hit a bad shot

IMHO, it would take a much greater skilled fly fisherman than I am to be able tell the difference between a spined and unspined fly rod.
Old 08-16-2011, 08:30 AM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

I still spine my one piece heavy gear like my stand up tuna rods and jigging rods for Cod, Tog, and Tile but not for casting performance. If your guides are on or even opposite the spine your fine but if you build a standup rod with the spine off the line of your guides the rod will twist in your hands when a big fish is on.
I fly rod needs the smae amount of flex on the forward and back cast so I'm not sure how using the spine would help the cast. Also on multipiece rods I would guess that the sweet spots if any on each section would probably cancel each other out. A one piece flyrod is a different story, especially a glass rod.