The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2011, 03:22 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ok Im ready to start ordering.

Great advice Auntie Em, a pre-formed grip sounds like a better way to go for your first build.

Flyfisher117, once you narrow it down a bit you might want to throw out a complete list of the components you plan to get before you buy to get opinions from some of the folks on the board on the:
the type, number, and size of guides, and any advice they might share about components and to see if you may have forgotten anything.

Here's a checklist that might help as you look through stuff to choose components:

Blank
Tip Top
Running Guides
Stripping Guides - usually you'd want at least one
Preformed Cork Grip (or cork rings)
Reel seat
Hook Keper
WInding Check
Thread
Glue for tip top, Epoxy for finish, color preserver etc, brushes
marking pen for custom inscription on blank and decal?

Other stuff
rod bag?
rod tube?

Good luck this sounds like a great project, keep us posted with plenty of pics!
Old 09-08-2011, 04:48 PM

flyfisher117 will become famous soon enoughflyfisher117 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to flyfisher117

No way i can turn my own grip (guess on the lathe?) Im not detailed enough and sure not steady enough, i can make pens and stuff and little cups/bowls but I usually start big and stop when im happy. Dont have the precision.

Im just thinking the Cabelas blank, its cheap so if i have a lot of fun I can possibly make another one. My mom wants me to build the sage rod ive been looking at but id rather start small and build 3 or 4 $60 rods for the price of that one $300 sage rod. The thread is where I think I might go all out crazy with the colors

The type of fishing I do varies. Usually its just locally on smaller creeks/rivers for trout. I dont go a lot so I myself cant justify spending $800 on a rod and reel combo. I might go for a weekend and not go out again for a few weeks or i might go every night if possible, it just depends. If i go fishing for small mouth bass with my cousin my 5wt is perfect for me. Should I ever get into big fish fishing then I have my 8wt rod but Ive only fished it twice.
Old 09-08-2011, 05:27 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

I do my grips using a drill to turn the glued cork while standing on the back porch. I work my way from 80 grit to 600 grit sandpaper. I actually find the grip to be easier than getting tight wraps for guides on the top section of the blank. Personally, I find stock grips are too small for my comfort, and I love the look of burl rings. I'd love to have access to a lathe, but even using a drill, I have found it an easy and fun part of the build.

You just need to do what you're comfortable with and I think whatever parts you do yourself, you'll love the satisfaction of fishing with a rod you built. I know I have - about to start another 3wt, just bought some more glue for the rings :-)
Old 09-08-2011, 11:44 PM

flyfisher117 will become famous soon enoughflyfisher117 will become famous soon enough

Ok all well I think that im going to go with the Cabela's IM7 fly rod blank. Going to try the 7' 3 weight.

Cabela's: Cabela's IM7 Fly Rod Blanks

thoughts? The reviews all seem good.

Then which end do i start "building" first? as in what parts do i buy first and what last? or does it matter? And does anyone know where I can locate a post that will help me figure out what size guides? how many? and how far apart?
Old 09-09-2011, 04:51 PM

Auntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to all

Check back in the thread ... "Let's do it again..." post #10. All kinds of suppliers there ... As for placement and sizes of guides, check out H&H and/or JS Flyfishing. Both of theses guys, and some of the others too, have charts for the number of guides, the sizes and the placement on the rod.

Usually, I first do the rod grip (cork) and the reel seat first. then the tip top. then measure out for the guides. Tape them, and start wrapping. Don't even think about the wrap finishing till after everything else is done, and the table is totally cleaned off and dusted! Otherwise you will curse little floaties that light in the finish. We do no need to go in to why I know that.
Old 09-10-2011, 09:49 AM

oarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to all

Just as a guide and you start from the tip down to the first guide will be

1. 4 inches
2. 9
3. 14
4. 19.5
5. 25.5
6. 32.5
7. 40.5
8. 50

Rick
Old 09-10-2011, 09:57 AM

Auntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to all

Good starting place, Rick, but a lot will depend on the length of the rod, the weight, and the number of sections. Best to check with the manufacturer of the blank as to their recommended placements, and sizes.
Old 09-10-2011, 10:29 AM

oarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auntie Em View Post
Good starting place, Rick, but a lot will depend on the length of the rod, the weight, and the number of sections. Best to check with the manufacturer of the blank as to their recommended placements, and sizes.
Your correct Auntie Em, the info is just for your average 7' fly rod, Flyfisher117 will run into a lot of variables in his rod building, I hope he picks up a good book or two on the matter to go along with the wisdom from this site.

Rick
Old 09-10-2011, 03:27 PM

Yes, as soon as pay day gets here the first things im buying are a few books. Ive got till December untill I really need to get the rod done (probably get it done over christmas break or thanksgiving break) But I have to get my budget figured out by tuesday and figure out exactly what I want to do and slowly just start ordering my parts.
Old 09-10-2011, 05:11 PM

The Cabelas kit for the rod you would like to build comes with everything except a hook holder, if you want single foot guides, order them there for cheap at $10.99 a set, you only need a 8 piece set, or pick up a Fuji Fly Rod Guide Set for 4 bucks, looks to be a rod you've built for under $120. The first rod build is always the tuffest to build and finnish, I've still have the first one I built, heck I could not of given it away it so ugly, I wish I would of had a good building book before doing that first rod.

Rick