The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2011, 12:04 AM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ok Im ready to start ordering.

I found rod building books through the library. The local library didn't have them, but they brought them from across the state through inter-library loan. Disadvantage is that you only have it for a limited time, but the price is right.
Old 09-11-2011, 10:35 AM

jasonm2089 is on a distinguished road

Check out Mudhole.com they carry a lot of nice blanks.

Good Luck with rod building.
Old 09-12-2011, 12:19 AM

flyfisher117 will become famous soon enoughflyfisher117 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to flyfisher117

Thanks for the help all! Im going to be away from the computer for a few weeks so you wont here much if anything at all from me. But ill be getting together with my mentor here soon and talking with him. Ill get on and post my projected parts list and see what yall think then and go from there.

-John H
Old 10-16-2011, 08:51 PM

flyfisher117 will become famous soon enoughflyfisher117 will become famous soon enough

Ok I'm back, havent been able to get in contact with my mentor but ive been putting my list together anyways. Heres Where it stands right now.

Cabelas IM7 fly rod blank 3wt 7' 2 piece
Cabela's: Cabela's IM7 Fly Rod Blanks

YFLY reel seat in black with gunsmoke aluminum reel seat
JS Fly Fishing: Rod Building, Fly Tying: J. Stockard Fly Reel Seat - YFLY Uplocking Window

Im lost with what grip to get. Open to recommendations.

Black tip top guide, but what size would i want? 8mm is what the guide i looked at said but that tip top doesnt come in any specified size.
http://www.jsflyfishing.com/cgi-bin/...d-Tip-Top.html

These guides in black, just not sure what sizes and how many.
http://www.jsflyfishing.com/cgi-bin/...GT-075520-0003

Black alconite stripping guide
JS Fly Fishing: Rod Building, Fly Tying: Fuji Concept Stripping Guide

basic black hook keeper, im guessing small
JS Fly Fishing: Rod Building, Fly Tying: J. Stockard Hook Keeper

Dark Blue thread, how many spools?
JS Fly Fishing: Rod Building, Fly Tying: FishHawk Rod Wrapping Nylon Thread

This is just what I think feel free to change my list and make recomendations, and if i forgot any valuable things let me know.

Thanks a ton all!

---------- Post added at 07:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:49 PM ----------

Ill go over adhesives and other things later right now im justt curious about components
Old 10-17-2011, 01:09 AM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like a nice list. I'll try to speak to some of your questions.

Regarding the grip - you have options. On my 3wt I did a cigar shape grip, but another option is the reverse half wells. If you are going to buy a grip, look for one that is inletted .865". When you mount the grip and the reel seat, the front of the reel seat will go into this inlet and the reel seat you choose requires .865". Here is a grip that would work from JS Stockard, for about 15 bucks. If you want to spend more and get a fancier one, this .865 inletted grip is a bit more interesting.

Your reel seat is nice, but the interior diameter (how big the hole the blank goes in) is .550" while the butt section of the blank itself is only .330". That means you will have to build up the blank to be tighter in the reel seat before you epoxy it on. One option is the find a reel seat that as an interior diameter (ID) that is closer to .330 another is to use the masking tape. It might be a big gap, but I'm not sure. You could post a question about it on the Rod Building Forum if someone here can't give you a definitive answer.

Regarding the Tip-top. On the Cabela's site, it says that for the 7' 3wt rod, the tip is a 4 so once you have selected standard/large/or xlarge black tip-top on the Stockard site, add one that is size 4 to your cart. I'd personally do a large or even an xlarge (though that might look too big). A large would give a bit of a bigger loop for knots to pass through and cut down on hang-ups if your leader connection passes through the tip-top while netting a fish or getting the line back out.

I would order 8 guides - it is common to take the number of feet the rod is and add one. For guide sizes, check out the program mentioned in this thread on the Rod Building Forum. When you put in your rod wt and length as well as the number of guides it will not only give you the guide sizes to order, but it will give you their placement as measured from the tip of the rod.

Regarding the number of spools... you should be fine with one, but order two. They are cheap and shipping isn't. It might not be bad to order a spool of black and one of metallic silver or other colors you might be interested in trying. They are cheap and you can practice wrapping with them. You might end up liking another color or color combo better than blue. It's hard to know till the thread is on the blank.

Also, a few other items with links to what I use:

1. A burnishing tool to help pack the thread wraps
2. A bunch of razor blades (paint section at Lowes) to cut thread.
3. A 5 minute epoxy to bond the grip and the reel seat to the blank.
4. Color preserver - it's your choice how you want to use it but without it the epoxy will alter the thread's color. I use it, others don't.
5. Epoxy for thread wraps I use Diamond II and also like their self-sealing
insert kit
. BTW, this company has great thread too. There are other epoxies out there that others might prefer.
6. This pencil helps mark guide placement while you're working.
7. Brushes, cups, and stir sticks for epoxy and color preserver. Get two packs of brushes if you're going to use color preserver.
8. A Winding check. It transitions from the blank to the grip. I linked to a cheap, black PVC check. Since the diameter of the rod butt is .330, I might get checks .300, .276, and maybe .252. They are so cheap it's not worth having what you need. Once you have your grip and reel seat mounted you slide the check down the blank and see which one fits tightly when it gets to the grip. I use a drop of super glue to hold it than start wrapping against it for the hook keeper.

I don't mean to overwhelm your budget, but it's helpful to get what you need so you're not waiting around for delivery later. I tried to link to JS Stockard when I could to save on shipping, since you are already ordering from them. Many other places carry the stuff as well, but Stockard is good.

Have you found info on how to do the guide and ferrule wraps?

That's probably enough for now. Enjoy

Last edited by williamhj; 10-17-2011 at 01:14 AM. Reason: Added winding check
Old 10-17-2011, 05:49 PM

Thanks for the write up.

Do you or anyone else know of a reel seat that is closer to the size of my rod blank? Id prefer to get it as close to the same as possible, design/material isnt an issue I like the wood ones just as much I just chose the YFLY one because it looked nice and it was fairly inexpensive. Im going to put a $30 limit on my reel seat.

Sounds good on the tip top.

For the guides, can you help me out? I'm on a mac and that guide program wont work for me. I can download it but not open it.

With the spools I was thinking about buying a 1/4" piece of dowel and a few extra rod guides and just practicing on that, is there any reason i cant/shouldnt do this?

You arent overwhelming my budget, im just going to see what my mentor has that i can use before i buy any tools or cements or thread color preserver. If he has it and will let me use it then I will just go that route.

Thanks a bunch!
Old 10-17-2011, 06:45 PM

Glad to help, I had a lot of folks help me and still do. Is your mentor a rod builder? If so, that will be invaluable.

For a reel seat, I posted a question on the Rod Building Forum to see if that difference is too great. I'll let you know what I hear. This one from Stockard is a bit closer in size. Another option could be this one from Angler's Roost, he has a lot that could work.

If you want to practice applying the epoxy to the guide wraps then the dowel and extra guides could be work, never tried it. If you just want to practice wraps, you can do that on the blank with the guides you'll use. You can wrap and cut off as much as needed to get the wraps as you want them. You can remove epoxy, but it's a lot harder.

For a 7' 3wt rod, here's what the program says, let me know if it doesn't make sense: 1st 7 are snake guides, the 8th is the stripping
  1. guide 1, 4 1/2" from tip, guide size 1
  2. guide 2, 9 5/8", size 1
  3. guide 3, 15 3/8", size 1
  4. guide 4, 21 13/16", size 2
  5. guide 5, 28 7/8", size 2
  6. guide 6, 36 5/8", size 2
  7. guide 7, 45", size 3
  8. guide 8, 54", 10

The 8th guide, stripping guide, should be a comfortable distance from the grip that you can hold the rod and grab line. When your blank comes, measure the placement of the stripping guide from the tip and see if it's comfortable. If it seems to far, we can recalculate guides placement with it a bit closer to the grip.

One thing I wanted to mention. Don't forget that the grip will need to slide down the bottom section of the blank, so don't spend a bunch of time wrapping the guides on that section before placing the grip and reel seat. It will be very frustrating to have to cut the wraps off to get the grip on. On my first rod I had to do that with one guide and it was frustrating, so I thought it worth mentioning.
Old 10-18-2011, 08:29 PM

Heard from a couple folks on the rod building forum, the gap difference shouldn't be a problem if you want to go with that reel seat.
Old 10-18-2011, 09:49 PM

kayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to all

here is another option for guide spacing

7' #3 line

- #1/0 - 5"
- #1/0 - 10 1/8"
- #1 - 15 1/4"
- #1 - 21"
- #1 - 27"
- #1 - 33 1/4"
- #2 - 40 1/4"
- #3 - 47 3/4"
- #8 St G- 56"

chuck
Old 10-19-2011, 04:44 PM

Well my original mentor wasnt a legitimate rod builder but he had built a few over the years. But my one teacher at school is giving me the contact info for a guy that he knows that builds rods quite a bit more often, he saw my proposal paper and asked if I needed a mentor. Hopefully will get to meet him monday.

Did any of them mention the best way to make up the difference with that reel seat?

Yup that guide makes sense, So when building would it be best to attack the tip top section as well as the reel seat, grip and other stuff like that and THEN start wrapping guides?

Hopefully the bank will activate my card this week so i can get ordering my stuff