The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2012, 09:44 PM

flyfisher117 will become famous soon enoughflyfisher117 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to flyfisher117
Default Re: Ok Im ready to start ordering.

Just an update: Im almost done!

All i have left is too apply flex coat to the thread wraps around the stripping guide, over my writing, and over the decal. This is the scary part! The part that everyone will look at.

What do you guys think of my writing? it wasnt as centered as I wanted but It was the nicest I had done yet so I didnt dare re-do it.
Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 02-27-2012, 11:19 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I like the writing. It's better than I do. I do dry transfer lettering now because my hand lettering stinks on ice. Good job.
Old 02-27-2012, 11:59 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

I think it looks great. I have trouble hand lettering as well. Rod is looking good, I look forward to more pictures and then a fishing report. Congrats on finishing it up, it's a good feeling.
Old 02-28-2012, 06:12 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Here's another tip, that might help in the future. Put a thin coat of thread epoxy where you're going write. That way if you write something that you're not satisfied with, you can wet sand it off and you won't touch the graphite/ glass/bamboo.
Old 02-28-2012, 07:01 PM

flyfisher117 will become famous soon enoughflyfisher117 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to flyfisher117

Thanks all, Ill have to remember the epoxy coat trick but this time I was working with paint that was slightly diluted with water, same stuff I used to mark where my guides went and it comes off quite easy. Little bit of water on your finger and some rubbing and it comes right off.

Just applied the flex coat to the lettering and the decal. All went well other than I accidentally got the flex coat on my winding check and the finish over the lettering looks like it slightly tapers. Oh well