The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2011, 05:45 PM

flyfisher117 will become famous soon enoughflyfisher117 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to flyfisher117
Default Ok Im ready to start ordering.

For those who didnt see my last thread I'm going to build a fly rod for my High School senior project this year. Since it will be my first I want it to be a plain jane basic rod, If i have fun or find it easy then I might make that Sage Z-Axis that I've been dreaming of but right now ill start out basic.

If Ya'll dont mind id like to just use this thread to help me out along the course of this school year in order to ask any questions I have or to get help with anything that might trouble me.

My first question is what length/weight should I build? Im not a hardcore diehard fisherman. I currently I have 9 foot 5 weight rod and it works but I feel that at times its a bit big for some of my smaller rivers/streams I fish. I was considering a 7'6" or 8' 3 or 4 weight. Oppinions?

And what would be best to begin with a 4pc rod or a 2pc rod? Not looking at the fishing aspect or whats easier to pack, Im not a huge fan of a 2 pc rod just because of the size when taken down but I would be fine with one if it would be easier to learn on. Im just thinking that its got to be easier to find the spine and match the two pieces together than it is with 4 pieces.

Thanks For the help all!

----John H
Old 09-06-2011, 08:58 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of
Default Re: Ok Im ready to start ordering.

I know that there are plenty of very knowledgeable people on the forum when it comes to rod-building and I'm sure they will weigh in soon! However, I may be making a rod fairly soon, so I'll be lurking on this thread stealing all the advice you get And I would think the ease of finding the spine may be out-stripped in the end by your desire to have a 4 pc vs. a 2 pc, but either way in the end it will be a rod you constructed with your own two hands, so the sense of pride might overwhelm the desire for the 4pc The 2pc would also mean two less ferrules to install. Since I haven't done it myself yet, I can't say just how much work this will save you. Good luck John!

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 09-06-2011, 09:25 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

If you're looking for something smaller than your 5wt, I'd recommend a 3wt. I love my 7'6" 3wt. It is great for small streams and tight quarters. Also, it's easy to transport needing a two foot rod tube. If you're worried about the number of sections, I've seen three piece 3wts which is still only 30 inches a piece.

I look forward to following your progress on this thread.
Old 09-06-2011, 09:43 PM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold

I found this on accident a couple days ago.

Cortland has some of their 2 piece Diamondback fiberglass blanks on sale right now for $40.

Sizes aren't perfect, but how about a 6' 3 weight?
Old 09-07-2011, 12:40 AM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

John.
Check out The Rod Building Section where Auntie Em has been very helpful for me as I've not built a rod in years.
Also Check out Joni's Rods.
I have all the gear needed however I'm still in the process of building Wrapping & Drying Machines.
Our rivers open for fishing next month so I better get going.
Brian.
Old 09-07-2011, 05:52 AM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbug View Post
I found this on accident a couple days ago.

Cortland has some of their 2 piece Diamondback fiberglass blanks on sale right now for $40.

Sizes aren't perfect, but how about a 6' 3 weight?
Those aren't the Diamondglass blanks, it's the All American graphite blank. But it's a hell of a deal for a blank.
Old 09-07-2011, 03:10 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure if you noticed, but JS Fly Fishing is offering 20% off books, including Rod Building books. I found the Art Scheck book to be helpful.
Old 09-07-2011, 05:02 PM

flyfisher117 will become famous soon enoughflyfisher117 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to flyfisher117

Thanks alll, I saw those two threads going in the rod building section they will also be part of my main way to get info.

What is better buying a kit or buying all of the parts seperate? I kind of like buying the parts seperate because i can buy a bit higher quality guides but also get a reel seat that fits exactly what I want and then to top that off I can Choose my thread color so that the rod looks exactly how I want it too. Where as the kits are mostly all the same.

I was at Cabelas looking at their rod building and they have their own brand I believe it was the Cabelas PT+ for $59.99 it was a 7' 2 piece 3 weight rod. In all honesty could I really go wrong with any rod blank brands? I fish my 9' 5 weight a lot but when I go to utah and fish with my cousin or fish here locally on my local creek its just wayy to long at times. So this rod wouldnt get fished as much but i dont want to get a crappy blank.

EDIT: JS Stockard also has a St. Croix SCIII 2 piece 7' 3wt for $79.99
Old 09-07-2011, 05:21 PM

I recommend picking the components yourself since it will let you personalize what you want. I'd also recommend making your own grip. Grips you buy to build with tend to be just basic cork color whereas when you make it yourself you can customize the grip both in terms of color as well as how it is shaped so that it feels better for your hand.

It's not that hard to do, and the result looks great.

I don't have a view on the Cabela's blank you mentioned. Perhaps you could talk about what kind of rod you like for your casting and let us know your budget and folks could give their thoughts on what blank would be good? You might end up finding a great deal.
Old 09-08-2011, 02:56 PM

Auntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to all

Oh, William! Suggesting a hand made/turned cork grip for a first time project?? Gawd! We'd lose him before he even got to setting any guides!! I'd favor using a basic grip for the first build, and making it his own with the thread wraps. Do something really fun there! If you want to turn something for the first build, a reel seat insert would be way kewl, and not so hard as to have the project become fire starter!

The whole idea of building a rod is to have FUN, go slow, and enjoy!!

And, yes, we'll be here to help in any way we can. PM me any time you want!

If I remember right ... mojo, help out here? ... the Cabelas blanks were made by St Croix, at one time or another. They are really nice little rods, but, if you want to have fun, on a first or subsequent build, and not have the rod look like any one else's ... give that Tiger Eye a look over! REAALLY nice, and not as expensive. I love 'em!!!!