The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2011, 11:54 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: fiber glass rod

I'd skip on the South Bend unless it's cheap and in great condition.
I've heard of the Boron Plus, but have no personal experience . I did have a different SB glass rod in back in the '70s but don't remember it being anything special.

The Sport Kings were sold by Montgomery Ward and made by Montague (I think). The OC reels are nothing special either.
I'd pass

8wt glass rods are heavy and probably not what you're looking for anyway, even though a Heddon would be worth having

Last edited by Rip Tide; 09-25-2011 at 12:14 PM.
Old 09-25-2011, 02:16 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
Lamiglas Fiberglass Fly Rod Blanks .

I've had one of the 7'6" 4wts since the early '70s. They're very slow action but fun once you get the hang of it.
Lammie still produces several 'glass' rods; you can access them through Angler's Workshop ... which is actually across the parking lot from their Plant.

Excellent folks to work/deal with.
Old 09-25-2011, 07:27 PM

IkenI is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
Many people think the Fenwicks are tops. The only one I own is a 'dog"
There were a few that were "dogs" but many are quite good. What model do you have? I have to admit I use my TFO ltd. and Diamondglass rods more than my Fenwicks but I have some that would make perfect 5 or 6 wt bluegill rod. In fact, I use one regularly for crappie, bluegill and small bass. I started with glass because I couldn't afford cane, went to graphite and back to glass (I do still have a couple graphite specialty rods). I have cast some of the more expensive name brand glass and many are good. But, the price tag doesn't make them so. I would recommend trying out any before buying. If you have only used graphite you may not like glass. Sorta like the difference between a compound bow and a longbow.
Old 09-26-2011, 08:20 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by IkenI View Post
There were a few that were "dogs" but many are quite good. What model do you have? I have to admit I use my TFO ltd. and Diamondglass rods more than my Fenwicks but I have some that would make perfect 5 or 6 wt bluegill rod. In fact, I use one regularly for crappie, bluegill and small bass. I started with glass because I couldn't afford cane, went to graphite and back to glass (I do still have a couple graphite specialty rods). .
The Fenwick is a 8', 7wt from a kit. Kits had different model numbers than the factory rods so they wouldn't get mistaken for the "real thing". I've got the equivalent number written down somewhere.
I've thought about rebuilding it to see if it cast better, but it was my father's build so for now the rod just rests on the bottom of the pile.
Back in the day, I switched over to graphite for "big water" fishing but for stream fishing I never really got away from fiberglass. I'm slow that way.
Old 09-26-2011, 09:09 AM

IkenI is on a distinguished road

That would probably be an FF807. Mine is the second heaviest rod I have and doesn't get used much. I mostly use it when fishing out of my boat for larger bass. A much better (for the OP's needs) rod would be a FF755 (7 1/2, 5 weight) There is a forum devoted to fiberglass fly rods and lots of info there for him. My current favorite rod for all around fishing is a TFO 6'9" 5/6 wt Finesse series limited edition glass rod. I use it for trout and smaller warm water fish. The largest fish I have taken on it was a 6lb largemouth which wanted a little Bluegill fly I was using. That was fun!
Old 09-26-2011, 02:30 PM

grassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nice

i decided to get the south bend boron plus now this would be my first refurbishing rod if i get lucky i may have a wulff line for it anyways how would i go about changing the cork the reel seat looks fine and how would i go about changing the guides
Old 09-26-2011, 02:56 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

For vintage glass, I like Phillipson, Fenwick and certain of the Shakespeare rods. My favorites, so far, are:

Phillipson Registered Midge Rod
Fenwick 535
Shakespeare Purist

Here's a pic of the Fenwick with an old Martin "tuna can" reel on it:

Click the image to open in full size.

They're all small stream rods, but great for delicate presentations and wonderful with the feel of a fish on the line.

I also fish a modern Diamondback Diamondglass 7'6" 3 wt. Great little rod!

By the way, my very first fly rod, bought for me by my father, was a Montgomery Ward 7'1", solid glass rod. It was marketed by Ward's as a "Hawthorne 4". They used the brand Hawthorne before converting to Sport King in 1960. I think that RipTide is right; they were manufactured for Ward's by Montague. I fish it paired with a Pflueger 1495, loaded with as much #3 shot as I can get into the spool chamber (it's a heavy little rod!)

Here's a pic of the rod; I still fish it regularly, every year; just for the sentimental value. If I had to give up all my rods, this one would be the last one to go.

Click the image to open in full size.

Pocono
Old 11-06-2011, 01:26 PM

mdraft1 will become famous soon enoughmdraft1 will become famous soon enough

I had an opportunity to cast a Lamiglas fiberglass rod the other day and really liked it. They are defiantly SOFT full flex rods, but a lot of fun to cast. The color is pretty cool as well.
Old 11-06-2011, 07:59 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassonfly View Post
i decided to get the south bend boron plus now this would be my first refurbishing rod if i get lucky i may have a wulff line for it anyways how would i go about changing the cork the reel seat looks fine and how would i go about changing the guides
Just curious, what does that rod weigh? The only one I've ever picked up seemed to weigh a ton.
Old 11-06-2011, 08:33 PM

grassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nice

to tell you the truth it is very light its a boron fiberglass mixture so that may have somethign to do with it