The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2011, 09:12 AM

grassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nice
Default fiber glass rod

im lookign to build a fiber glass 5 weight for some buegill and mayan cichid fishing and perhaps some carp fishing what materials do i need, where do i get them and how much will it cost
Old 09-24-2011, 09:46 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: fiber glass rod

Lamiglas Fiberglass Fly Rod Blanks | Mud Hole Custom Tackle, Inc.

I've had one of the 7'6" 4wts since the early '70s. They're very slow action but fun once you get the hang of it.

You could also find a tag sale rod and rebuild it. Some are better than others, but there's some real gems out there. One of my favorite rods that I own, a late '50s Phillipson, I got for $30. It needed an extensive overhaul, but it was well worth it.
Old 09-24-2011, 02:28 PM

grassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nice

this would be my first rod im building where would i find a tag sale rod?
Old 09-24-2011, 02:46 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I meant a used rod from a tag sale, yard sale, junk shop. swap meet, ebay. That sort of thing.
Strip it down, clean it up, and wrap on new guides. Give it a new reel seat and grip if needed.
Just an idea..... I've done quite a few like that.
Old 09-24-2011, 03:49 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

I have yet to attempt a complete build of a rod. Been tempted a few times, but just never pulled the trigger on it! I agree with RipTide about fixing up an old rod, I have a couple of glass fly rods, and all I did was replace the guides on them. The handles & reel seats were fine. Both rods were yard sale items & I've got less than $50 tied up in both of them including the new guides.

They're fun to fish with too, but do cast quite a bit differently than modern graphite rods. Whatever you decide to do, best of success with it. Keep us informed on the progress of the project!

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 09-24-2011, 04:38 PM

My buddy buys bamboo ebay rods, reconditions them as necessary, takes better pictures and resells them back on ebay.
He's not rich from doing it, but he's gotten some nice high-end cane rods out of it and whenever we go on fishing trips the money he spends all comes from his 'rod account'
Old 09-24-2011, 10:08 PM

i have found couple of cheaper old fiber glass rods can anyone recommend some good names
Old 09-24-2011, 11:02 PM

IkenI is on a distinguished road

I have several Fenwicks and a few newer glass rods. Use them 99% of the time for everything.
Old 09-25-2011, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassonfly View Post
i have found couple of cheaper old fiber glass rods can anyone recommend some good names
I like the Phillipsons. They were also rebranded and sold by Orvis, LLBean, Abacrombie Fitch and a number of other smaller shops. I have rods from Lamiglas and Wright & McGill that I like to fish too.
Many people think the Fenwicks are tops. The only one I own is a 'dog"
The Scientific Angler "System" rods are good. I'd also look for Browning-Siliflex, Heddon, Cortland, and maybe St Croix too.
There's lots of the Garcia-Conolon, Berkley and Shakespeare rods out there but the models differ in quality and need to be cast.
If you can find a Winston, buy it. Some of the other high end glass rods came from Scott, Thomas&Thomas, Leonard, Peak, and Cummings
You can get a general idea of the quality of glass rods by the number of guides that it has. A good rod will have a guide for every foot in length. (8 foot rod, 8 guides) Lesser rods will have skimped.

Last edited by Rip Tide; 09-25-2011 at 08:08 AM.
Old 09-25-2011, 11:34 AM

is a southbend boron plus good?

---------- Post added at 11:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:28 AM ----------

i also found a sport king m 272 with a ocean city reel no 35 any thouhgts?

i did ifnd a heddon which looks nice but im looking for 5 weight and below and its an 8