The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Fly Rod Building (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-rod-building/)
-   -   rainshadow rx8 blanks compared (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-rod-building/188792-rainshadow-rx8-blanks-compared.html)

barham 09-29-2011 01:39 PM

rainshadow rx8 blanks compared

I am interested in getting back into fly rod building. I have a Sage Zaxis & Winston B3x both 9' 5 wt. How does the action on the Rainshadow rx8 compare to those rods. Also, what other blanks are similiar to those rods;
Thanks,
barham

williamhj 09-29-2011 06:57 PM

Re: rainshadow rx8 blanks compared

I hope this isn't too far removed from you question, but here is a review I read this summer of an RX8 rod, including some thoughts on building them
Fly Fishing & Fly Tying Review: Batson 9' 6wt blank (RX8 9' 6wt 4 pc.)

I have never fished the other rods you mentioned, but I hope the review is helpful for you.

pegboy1 10-03-2011 10:21 PM

I just sent you a pm. Take a look.

barham 10-04-2011 07:25 PM

I Am having trouble reading your pm, if you would, just tell your opinion of the rain shadow rx8 5wt blanks, and how compare to sage zaxis and winston b3x blanks. I am familiar with those that would give a frame of about the rain shadow blanks.
Thanks,
Barham

hardhat 11-13-2011 06:45 PM

Batson high end blanks are of high quality. With the present prices of the RX8 you will not go wrong. I have build several RX8+ 8 wt rod and have been very happy with the performance. The higher end Batson blanks are comparable to St Croix last generation of blanks.
You should also look at what Dan Craft has to offer. I beleive that he has some great deals on 8 wt blanks.

rod1948 08-20-2013 10:29 AM

Does anyone know how the action (medium fast,fast, ultra fast) of the Rainshadow RX8+ blank compares to the Sage ZXL blank, which Sage calls a medium fast blank. I have a 9' 6 wt. Sage ZXL that I'm going to use for river smallies soon but have an opportunity to buy a 9' 6 wt. rod made with the Rainshadow RX8+ blank. I also have a TFO BVK 9' 6 wt. but it's a little stiff and seems to lack feel.
Thanks,
Rod

brookfieldangler 08-20-2013 10:52 AM

If you find the BVK to be stiff, then I don't think you will like the RX8 blank very much as it is definitely faster that the BVK.

It is a very fast blank but still pretty darn smooth. I have found that my favorite line is a +1 rio outbound short on it.

If you are looking for something a bit slower than the BVK, I would look into the MHX line by mudhole. I have one a 6wt and it has been a fantastic workhorse for me.