The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Fly Rod Building (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-rod-building/)
-   -   nice and easy (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-rod-building/201481-nice-easy.html)

grassonfly 11-02-2011 10:35 PM

nice and easy

i know everybody on here has asked what they should buy but im adding to that list
can some one lay it out very simply what i need (im going to dry by hand turning)

also i want to refurbish a rod i have now how to a take the epoxy guides cork and reel seat off of it

wt bash 11-03-2011 10:01 AM

Re: nice and easy

I would seriously rethink hand trning to dry. Its a pain and the results i got were less than perfect.

oarfish 11-03-2011 12:42 PM

On the guide removal use a box cutter or dremel tool and scar down on the guide foot through the wrap finish, make sure not to nick the rod with the knife. Go slow, take your time, as you get into the material you’ll be able to peel it up and off.

Grip, use a heavy rasp then sand paper and on to some very fine wet and dry. Again go slow, don’t get into the blank.

I don’t know how old the rod or what glue was used but I would try soaking the seat in warm water to see if I could loosen it up and slide it off, if not try a dremel cutter or just cut the seat off, your rod will just be a little shorter.

As for hand turning while dying the flex coat, you won't like the out come.

I’m sure others will add some of there suggestions, good luck.

Rick

swirlchaser 11-03-2011 01:44 PM

For me the easiest way to remove an old reelseat is to cut down the length of it on both sides with a dremel cutoff wheel (cut just the reelseat, don't hit the blank:eek:). I then stick a screwdriver in the cut and twist. The two halves of the reelseat will usually just pop off. Cleaning up what's underneath is usually more of a pain.
You can buy a cheap rod drier on ebay for $30-$40. They're not great quality but will dry a flyrod much better than turning by hand.

---------- Post added at 02:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:39 PM ----------

If your handy you could easily build yourself a hand wrapper from some pine boards like this one for under $20.

HW1 Hand Wrapper | mudhole.com

williamhj 11-03-2011 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grassonfly (Post 341814)
i know everybody on here has asked what they should buy but im adding to that list
can some one lay it out very simply what i need (im going to dry by hand turning)

Are you asking what you need just for the drying or for the whole process of building a rod?

I second what others have said about hand-turning the rod. I bought a small motor on ebay and it's pretty easy to make an upright to hold it and a support for the rod.

Guest1 11-03-2011 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grassonfly (Post 341814)
(im going to dry by hand turning)

Oh you don't want that task. Go to the dump and see if you can find an old rotisery (sp?) motor. You can build a turning stand for almost nothing. I turn rods for a minimum of 2 1/2 hours. With the amount of coffe I drink, well.... 2 1/2 hours........:rolleyes:

grassonfly 11-03-2011 06:36 PM

alright so it is worth buying the motor also what epoxy do i buy

williamhj 11-03-2011 06:53 PM

Are you asking which finish for the guides? If you're looking for a general epoxy for the reel seat and grip, I use Flex Coat's 5 Minute epoxy. If you're looking for guide finish, there are a number of options. I use Diamond II and like it, if you get it also get the self-sealing insert kit. Here's a review I recently read on it. As for other options, JS Stockard sells a number including Flex Coat and ThreadMaster. I'm sure others will chime in on their preferred finish.

Whatever one you get, just be sure to follow the directions that come with the finish and measure carefully. If you have questions ask them on here, do a search for your finish type to see what others have said. Time spent carefully coating your thread wraps is well worth it. I have the top two sections of a 5wt turning right now and am feeling pretty good about how it's turning out...

grassonfly 11-03-2011 07:45 PM

i just really need to convince the local custom rod builder to apprentice me ahaha

wt bash 11-03-2011 10:09 PM

If your not into mixing the two part epoxies Permagloss is a good option. It takes quite a few coats but a small bottle goes a long way.