The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2012, 09:58 PM

auntrout will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Building My First Fly Rod

thanks mt. No CP for the next build; maybe NCP thread, but haven't decided for sure yet.
Old 01-15-2012, 12:52 PM

Is anyone familiar with Danville NCP thread? I picked up a 50 yd spool of Danville nylon satin finish NCP thread yesterday at my local fly shop. I'm still debating on either no CP or NCP thread for my next build so I just went ahead picked up this thread just in case; didn't want to make the 50 mile round trip drive just for a $1.50 spool of thread.

Here is a link to thread I picked up: http://www.bobmarriottsflyfishingsto...rapping-thread

I was actually looking for Gudebrod thread since it seems like that is very popular amongst those on this and other rod building forums, unfortunately the shop did not carry it. Is there a good source where I can order the Gudebrod NCP thread. One source I was looking into to order a reel seat and insert for my next build is Acidrod.com, and they carry the Gudebrod Size A NCP thread but only in 950 yd spools, way too much for me. Thanks.

Last edited by auntrout; 01-16-2012 at 10:35 AM.
Old 01-16-2012, 10:34 AM

Appreciate some feedback on my first rod build for the rod builders out there; had some problems which parts of the wrap darkening after applying finish. Included photos in Post 136. Thanks.

Is anyone familiar with Danville NCP thread? I picked up a 50 yd spool of Danville nylon satin finish NCP thread yesterday at my local fly shop. I'm still debating on either no CP or NCP thread for my next build so I just went ahead picked up this thread just in case; didn't want to make the 50 mile round trip drive just for a $1.50 spool of thread.

Here is a link to thread I picked up: http://www.bobmarriottsflyfishingsto...rapping-thread

I was actually looking for Gudebrod thread since it seems like that is very popular amongst those on this and other rod building forums, unfortunately the shop did not carry it. Is there a good source where I can order the Gudebrod NCP thread. One source I was looking into to order a reel seat and insert for my next build is Acidrod.com, and they carry the Gudebrod Size A NCP thread but only in 950 yd spools, way too much for me. Thanks.
Old 01-16-2012, 11:42 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I have never used color preservative on wraps, my way of getting the color right was to choose a range of threads and then dress them onto a dowel rod and apply finish to see which would have the look I wanted to achieve.

I went back and looked at the pictures and would guess that in the areas at the guide feet the wraps had some air under them and this allowed the finish to get under them. This may have allowed the finish to penetrate from the bottom up and darkening the wraps in those spots. The tight wraps around the blanks did not allow for finish to get to any surface that had not been treated with the color preservative. These would be areas where I would make repeated applications of CP in the future if I were still using it.

You did a swell job with all the work and I'm sorry to see that you had this color variation on the guides.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 01-16-2012, 09:48 PM

Hardy, thanks for taking the time to go look at the photos. Next time I use CP I'll definitely really soak the threads. Probably will try using a bodkin to even drip some CP in the gap for the larger guides. For my next build (ordered the components last night) I'm either going NO CP or trying some NCP thread I've ordered. I'll be doing some test wraps where the reel seat will go to test how the thread will look with epoxy. That way I'll be able to make an educated decision as to what the rod will look like at the end.