The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2011, 07:52 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise
Default Re: Building My First Fly Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by oarfish View Post
Yes you will need a drying motor, its a must.

Rick
i am also gonna build a rod this winter and have heard that the drying motor is a must as well. does anyone have recommendations on a certain make or model?

btw- decided on a 7' 6" 3 weight glass. any thoughts on a blank???
p.m. me any blank options, didn't want to hijack

casey

ARFE
Old 11-14-2011, 10:37 PM

auntrout will become famous soon enough

I second, any recommendations on a drying motor would be much appreciated. I've started looking around to see what it would take to make one. My local fly shop sells the Flex Coat BR72 Cordless Finishing Motor II, runs about $65. It takes 4 AA batteries which is convenient. I was thinking about making one using a rotisserie motor, but wasn't sure what rpm they are. Other option was to visit a couple electronic shops near my home, but won't be able to do that until the weekend. Appreciate all the great feedback.
Old 11-14-2011, 10:41 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

I got mine off ebay - search drying motor or something similar and you'll come up with pre-made set-ups and single motors at different RPM's. Mine is 21 rpms if memory serves, some folks like slower, but I've only used this one. My one concern with batteries is, if you set the rod turning and aren't in the room when the batteries die. I use a light timer with mine so I can set it to turn for the desired time and shut off on it's own. Even with that, I check on it.
Old 11-14-2011, 10:50 PM

Headed to eBay now.
Old 11-15-2011, 05:30 AM

Any thoughts on the book, Rod Building Guide by Tom Kirkman? I' planning on ordering the book by Scheck but also saw this one on Amazon.
Old 11-15-2011, 02:59 PM

oarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to all

Click the image to open in full size.

The image on the right is a dryer I made with a old color wheel for a tin foil xmas tree, works well, turns slower than the felx coat dryer next to it. I have not read any books by Tom Kirkman only Dale P. Clemens and Art Scheck, you can't go wrong with Art's Fly Rod Building Made Easy. The Clemens book is from 1974 and only covers fiberglass rods.

Rick
Old 11-15-2011, 03:56 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

I read the Kirkman book too, but honestly don't remember it from the other several books I read on the subject. Through my local library I was able to get a number of books from other libraries around the state through inter-library loan. Saved money and got a lot of resources.
Old 11-15-2011, 11:14 PM

I saw a couple of dryer motors on eBay, actually all from the same seller. He had 4-5 rpm, 10 rpm, and others that were faster. The rod building videos I saw on flyrodfanatic.com were using a 6 rpm dryer. I thought it may have been spinning a little too slow, but that's the opinion of someone whose never built a rod. I was thinking of ordering the 10 rpm motor, about $15. Appreciate any thoughts/recommendations on the motor speed I should order.
Old 11-16-2011, 12:16 PM

oarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to all

Personally I like a slower turning dryer, its easer to apply the flex coat while turning for me. The dryers that I have are a 4 and an 18, a 10 rpm would be a good middle road choice for you. Itís important the base for the dryer is very stable; you would not want your work to tip over.

Rick
Old 11-16-2011, 10:56 PM

thanks Rick. I think I'm going to order the 10 rpm motor.