The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2011, 06:53 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Has anyone?

On another forum, there is a gentleman that has got the artistic wrapping thing down. He has built several spinning and bait rods. But, he is now building fly rods with this art. It goes up the butt section to about four inches from the stipping guide. While being pretty, I have never seen this on a fly rod. I think it would slightly effect the weight and greatly effect the action. Here is an example although not his that I know of:

Thread Art - RodBuilding.org

What do you all think?
Old 12-12-2011, 06:58 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Has anyone?

Imagine DiverDan will be inspecting those pics with a magnifying glass...

Dave
Old 12-12-2011, 07:44 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi Joni,

I've seen this type dressing before both in photos and at tackle shows. Although it speaks well for the person overlaying and winding all of the work they are a little too busy for my old head. I don't believe I would be lusting after one even if it made the action better and the rod lighter Like many other things in this game, interesting to look at but that's as far as I'd go. Come to think of it I don't even like those Hardy or Bruce & Walker Palakona rods because of all the intermediate wraps on them. They always looked like a overdone repair to me

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 12-12-2011, 07:59 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

A Fenwick Ferrulite on steroids.
Old 12-12-2011, 08:01 PM

imxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of light

hi Joni

I am solidly in Ard's corner on this.

Don't know if anyone cares but loomis finally made their NRX look like a Fly Rod, green wraps instead of "Baby Blue".
Time and place for everything?

Paul

Nature, Cheaper than Therapy

LIVE TODAY
Old 12-12-2011, 08:09 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by imxer View Post
hi Joni

I am solidly in Ard's corner on this.

Don't know if anyone cares but loomis finally made their NRX look like a Fly Rod, green wraps instead of "Baby Blue".
Time and place for everything?

Paul
That is the blank this gentleman is using. I am kidding it is a Mudhole MHX four piece
Old 12-12-2011, 08:19 PM

imxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of light

Excellent choice, will probably be a fine rod.

LIVE TODAY
Old 12-12-2011, 08:25 PM

Sorry, I hadn't finished typing....LOL Just a little humor. But I agree, that would be awesome. I am thinking a nice bass stick.
Old 12-12-2011, 08:35 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Now I'm having second thoughts............................ if I had a set of waders; sort of leisure suit looking kinda thing, you know polyester and with a nice wide collar Columbia fishing shirt.............. Yeah, that's the ticket; hanging out around the boat launch with a six pack and that rod...hum

Maybe

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 12-12-2011, 08:55 PM

ARD

Do us the courtesy of providing a picture of yourself at the boat ramp !

LIVE TODAY