The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2011, 07:08 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future
Default Lemon Drop Build progress

Ok so the pics just don't do the rod justice so take them with a grain of salt. Over the past few days/nights I got the cork mounted and turned the guides spaced out and feet filed (well somewhat) and after going through a thousand color combos for the trim wraps I settled on lime green. With no CP it takes on a Highlander Green type color. The guides are wrapped in primrose yellow with no CP. In the photo I've just put on the second coat and for the grips I wanted to go for a Baby Catskill type look, I think I got close some may not be into it but its nice and short and feels great in hand. Tomorrow I'll finish up the butt section and stripping guide and recoat everything.
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 12-18-2011, 07:47 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Lemon Drop Build progress

I'm liking the grip Bill, it's got the Leonard look to it and the colors are pretty cool. I want to know length & weight along with what reel you're going to use? I have an old Martin 63 in that sort of bronze'y burgundy matt finish that might be of interest if you don't have the reel picked out already.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 12-18-2011, 08:38 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

Hey Ard, its a 7'6" 3/4wt, I've already picked up a 1394 Medalist for it. Its a pre 38' no line gard but the sculpted pillars and click and prawl. Its a perfect fit but I apperciate the offer. By the way, I scooped up that FF9010 no bid! I'll start on that as soon as I get it. I'll use it to christen that drip tank.
Old 12-18-2011, 09:24 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

That is going to be a really cool custom rod. Is the reel seat all cork? I'm really surprised how completely transparent the thread is over the guide feet, but I like it. Can't wait to see this rod when you're done.
Old 12-19-2011, 05:16 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute

I forgot that you had told me about the old Pflueger Bill, the Martin I have is just sitting and one of these days I need to find it a good home. let's see some more pictures

Old 12-19-2011, 09:31 PM

I literaly just put a coat on the mid section (its a 3pc) put it on the dryer and walked in the door! The GF has the camera today but I'll get some more tomorrow. Yes sir Dean, all cork. Now that all of last night's work is dry, the green is way more subtle and it's looking classy. I have to wrap the stripper and then a few more coats and she's ready. Now I really can't wait for dry fly time!
Old 12-20-2011, 10:07 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Bill: Very nice work, I really like the color combination, should be a really classic looking rod when you get it finished.

Larry

Old 12-20-2011, 11:40 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Classic and....classy rodgreat job Bill!
Old 12-20-2011, 07:56 PM

Everything is wrapped and has a coat and now I can't touch it for a while! Again sorry for the poor pics.

I know, my work area is a disaster zone but if you think thats bad you should see where I tie at!
Old 12-20-2011, 08:15 PM
Administrator

You know............ when you get that finished if you were to send it to me here, I would take some wonderful pictures of it for you