The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2011, 08:40 PM

dans89 is on a distinguished road
Default Tiger eye rod blanks?

Anyone have any info on these? I'm looking for pics, places to buy, ect. Thanks in advance.
Old 12-27-2011, 09:37 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tiger eye rod blanks?

As for where to buy, here's a good place. I've gotten good service and fast shipping.

I've built two, a brown tiger-eye 7'6" 3/4 wt and then one of their green ones 9' 4/5wt. I love my 3/4 wt, it's my go-to trout rod. I built the 4/5 as a gift, but gave it a test run and it cast beautifully. If you search this forum for 'Sevier' you'll find some info. If you search the rod building forum for it as well there will be even more since all they cover is rod building.

As a side note, in my experience and from what I've heard, assume the rod will cast best with the higher line weight. I tried my 3/4 with a 3wt line and it just didn't cast well until a lot of line was out. Similar with the 4/5wt with a 4wt line.
Old 12-27-2011, 10:11 PM

baitwaister will become famous soon enough

You can get them direct from Dave at 317-892-2784. You can also go to his website Sevier Manufacturing to see what he has but you are way better off to call him to order. His blanks for the price are hard to beat and I build a lot for customers. When you do order extra because he often is out of stock of the most popular models. You can also get them from Dan craft and Shneiders but will pay more.
Old 12-28-2011, 09:05 AM

mtbrider405 has a spectacular aura aboutmtbrider405 has a spectacular aura about

I have built a 6'6" 2wt and a 7'6" 3/4wt. In my opinion, you CAN'T beat the blank quality for the price. Plus they just cast really well.

I bought a blank from Roger off ebay and expected similar quality but the Sevier blanks were way nicer and for only $20 more.

You won't be disappointed.

-Jason
Old 12-28-2011, 07:19 PM

Thanks guys. Anyone have any pics of the blanks? Been searching for a bit, and still can't seem to find any.
Old 12-29-2011, 08:32 AM

Auntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to all

Here's one I did quite some time ago. Have done MANY, and love them. Wait till you see one in the sunshine!

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 12-29-2011, 08:32 AM

mtbrider405 has a spectacular aura aboutmtbrider405 has a spectacular aura about

Ya, these things in the sun will make you grin ear to ear!

I have a few pics, but not of the blank specifically. They were intended to show my first wrapping job. You can kind of see the blank though. The finish is just as good as my other "name brand" rods. Very consistent and even. I LOVE the dark brown color and after applying finish to those wraps, I really love the chestnut and copper combo with these blanks.

This is the 3/4wt and I have a 2wt in the same color and it seems they are equal in terms of quality and finish.

Hope that helps you some.

-Jason
noreaster likes this.
Old 12-29-2011, 10:23 AM

baitwaister will become famous soon enough

Here a few

fredaevans and noreaster like this.
Old 12-29-2011, 08:12 PM

WOW. Those blanks are truly stunning... Any info on the handle in the first pic baitwaister?
Old 12-30-2011, 01:42 PM

The grip in Baitwaister's first pic has a birch bark center section (like the grip in my picture) and some type of wood capping each end.

His finish is different than mine (tru-oil). It looks to me like a polyurethane type finish.

-Jason