The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2012, 12:53 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: First Rod Build

Allan: Great SBS on rod building, I'm anxious to see how that grip turns out. Keep the photos coming!

Old 01-23-2012, 08:32 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

I took most of the day off from family matters yesterday and went to the second in a series of 3 days of rod building. This second day was definitely a heavier left than the first.

We took our butt sections out of the grip presses and took turns putting them on the lathe for shaping. Here's what mine looked like after the glue-up last week; not exactly the smoothest looking construct in the books........

Click the image to open in full size.

Next came the shaping. We started with the curved back of a wood file to get the overall shape that we were looking for. Then we went to sandpaper of decreasing grits; starting with 100 and ending up with 600. I wanted a half wells grip on my 6 wt., so I used the guide marks on the wall behind the lathe and, all-in-all, although I had big-time butterflies going into the lathe work (knowing that you can't add cork back on once you've shaved it off), I thought it didn't come out too badly; much better than the pre-lathe shape, for sure!

The rest of the day was dedicated to wrapping the guides onto the blank sections. We had marked the guide locations the previous week.

The part the gave me the biggest problem was the initial winding on of the thread; getting the bitter end trapped properly under the first 2-3 wraps without the whole thing sliding around the polished blank surface. Here's a pic of the start of a wrap; just after catching the thread.

Here's my first guide; attached in the right point. I didn't cut it off and re-do it; but I may next week...........

I'm liking the chestnut brown thread on the gloss black blank. When wet, it's more of a medium-dark chocolate color.

Here are some pics of the 4 sections at the end of the day (had to break at 3:00 to see the Pats grab the AFC win!). None of the sections are finished at this point but all are about 75-90% there. First pic is without the reel seat, the other two are with it pushed onto the butt section.

I'm also liking the wraps with the wooden reel seat spacer; but I know that they'll darken when we start to coat them next week.

So, all-in-all, a real transformation day of rod building.

I'm sure that I'll be re-doing some of the guide wraps next week, but it takes less time per guide now, so it doesn't seem like such a big deal.

It's still a lot of fun!

Pocono
Old 01-23-2012, 08:52 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Allan: Your rod build is coming along nicely! I really like the thread color against the black rod.

Old 01-23-2012, 10:06 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Allan, I'm really liking the progress so far, that's turning out to be a great looking rod. In all honesty, I like the way the guide marks look next to the thread wraps, even if its temporary

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 01-23-2012, 11:03 PM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute

Looking good, Allan! Getting the thread wraps started around the blank is definitely the trickiest and most frustrating process. Nice work on the handle, too. Good stuff - you are going to love that rod!
Old 01-24-2012, 01:59 AM

auntrout will become famous soon enough

Great job. Thanks again for the photos.
Old 01-24-2012, 09:22 AM

Auntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to all

Very nice build!
Old 01-24-2012, 11:52 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auntie Em View Post
Very nice build!
I think you can believe her...you work like a pro Allan
Old 01-25-2012, 06:59 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks guys.

It's been fun so far, but as with everything else, I can see a lot of things that I would do differently the second time around (see, I'm already thinking about the next one....................)

Are there any good books that take you though the process to build a basic rod; like the one that I'm building now, and that also teach you how to add things that make the rod special; like different ways to do the thread wraps; multiple thread colors, inlays, etc.?

Next Sunday we'll finish with the guides, tidy up the thread wraps that look bad (can't wait to see how many I actually cut off and re-wrap............), straighten the guides and get a first coat on the wraps.

I'm still a little anxious about how the whole thing will come out, but I'm also looking forward to finding out.

Pocono
Old 02-07-2012, 11:17 AM

Well, I skipped a week (because I forgot my camera), but here's the progress from last Sunday. It's just about compete now; just waiting for the second Flex Coat to dry on the wraps. I plan to pick it up at the shop this Friday.

The pics aren't very good. I think I was trying to get too close to the subject to hold the camera by hand. A tripod would have helped, but it was a pretty informal and relaxed envoronment, so fuzzy is the best that I could get.

Here's one of the reel seat glued up on the rod:

And one showing the stripper guide. I used a #12 agate guide on this 9'0" 6 wt. rod; with a red/brown stone, which works pretty well with the reel seat and the thread wraps:

A pic of the seat again with the end of one of the sections. The chestnut wraps don't stand out nearly as much on the rod when it's in normal light; it's a very dark brown color under the Flex Coat:

Here's a pic of one of the guide wraps and an end section; after the first Flex Coat:

And one of the tip top:

Another wrapped guide shot after the first Flex Coat:

Looking up towards the winding check:

The reel seat, epoxied in place with tape removed:

We "signed" our rods. My writing hand (right) shakes, so I had someone else do it for me. I'm not really happy with the way that it came out, but there it is:

Second Flex Coat applied and rod sitting in the rollers for 24 hours of drying time (should have come off the rollers on Monday). Mine is in the back on the bottom.

And that's about it. I'll pick up the rod this week and, hopefully, get to some water in the not too distant future to try it out. Actually, it will probably get "snow-cast tested" a lot sooner than that!

It took more time than I thought it would, but it was a lot of fun. I'm already thinking about building another rod; one for Marty. Probably an 8'6" 3 wt., off a Winston blank. She needs a 3 wt.; I know she does...............(chuckle)

Pocono
jpbfly likes this.