The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2012, 07:16 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: First Rod Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Allan,

Great rod, nice reel but I've gotta ask........why not the 3 3/4 St. George? I'm thinking you already had the 3", right? Reels aside it is a fine fly rod!

Ard
Ard, yes, that's it. I have the 3"; but the 3 3/4" would be an additional, dedicated purchase that poses some justification issues for me.

Pocono
Old 03-05-2012, 11:43 AM

imxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of light

pocono,

Elegant simplicity, VERY nice.

imxer

Nature, Cheaper than Therapy

LIVE TODAY

Last edited by imxer; 03-05-2012 at 03:11 PM.
Old 03-05-2012, 01:13 PM

oarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to all

Very elegant clean rod build Allan, great choice with the agate stripper, nice touch.

Rick
Old 03-05-2012, 08:04 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Allan,

Great rod, nice reel but I've gotta ask........why not the 3 3/4 St. George? I'm thinking you already had the 3", right? Reels aside it is a fine fly rod!

Ard

Thanks everyone; the rod will be all the more special to me based on your very kind comments.

Ard, You got my interest when you mentioned the St. George 3 3/4" reel (I know - you knew you would). A couple of things:

1. Hardy doesn't make a 3 3/3 St. George reel; at least they don't anymore

2. The closest larger reel is the Perfect Taupo at 3 7/8". But, it's rated for a WF7F line + 130M of backing; much more than I need on a 6 wt.

3. The 3.0" St. George is rated for a WF6F line + 42M of standard backing; more than I'll need unless I hook a "legendary" fish.

So, for right now a new 3.0" spool lined with WF6F line + 50M or gel spun backing it going to do the trick for me on this rod.

Pocono