The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2012, 08:40 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute
Default First Rod Build

My wife, Marty, gave me a rod building class as a Christmas present and today was Day 1.

The class takes place at Eldredge Brothers Fly Shop in Cape Neddick, ME. It's a small class; 4 people, plenty of equipment and a nice, slow pace. It's stretched out over 3 consecutive Sundays; 8:00AM-4:00PM.

I'm building a 9'0" 6 wt. 4 piece rod from a Sage One blank with Struble hardware and an agate stripper guide.

Here's today's progress (no tripod; pics are not great):

Tip top mounted with epoxy and 14 cork cork rings selected for a 7" grip. The fist step was to see if the alignment dots that came on the rod blank were actually at the right places. It turned out that they were for 3 of the sections, but the upper section was off by about 120 degrees (surprising to me, but I guess that's why you check them).

Click the image to open in full size.

The Reamer/rasp (foreground) for the ring sizing is part of an old rod blank, coated in epoxy with coarse sandpaper spiral wound around it. Works very well! I had a problem with the fit of the reel seat wooden spacer on the rod butt; the spacer was a 360 and the butt section on the One was 395. So, that reamer/rasp got quite a work out today as I carefully enlarged the interior clearance on the seat spacer to just slide nicely over the butt.

I figured that premium cork rings were just that; premium and ready to go. I found out that's not quite right. So, here's the contact sanding pad I used to smooth both sides of each ring.

Once on the rod; with about 1/16" to play with re; the fit of the butt, I moved the cork pieces around to get as much of a "sweet" fit as I could, then numbered them prior to gluing up, with the number aligned with the dot at the upper tip of the butt section.

This next part makes you wince a little first time through; sanding the gloss of the new blank to get a good bond between the butt and the cork rings.
Ring #1; just above the rod, sized and scored out to accommodate the front end of the reel seat.

Glued up and stacked on the rod using epoxy. Epoxy coated the butt above each ring and the upper face of each ring before adding the next one; one ring at a time (almost ran out of working time with the epoxy, but not quite! ).

In the press, waiting to harden up for turning the grip on the lathe.

In the meantime, prepped each guide and the keeper. Beveled each of the guide tips forward and with a slight curve in at the sides using a file with the guide set against a wooden v-groove. Also used the contact sand paper to smooth out some burrs on the bottom of the guides. Checked the set of each guide on the blank, made some adjustments and that part now seems to be pretty much behind me (we'll see when I actually start to thread them onto the blank).

Next, it was time to space the guides on the blank. I followed the spacing instructions that came with the blank from Sage; no variations. Marked the guide centers with white grease pencil, then went back over them with a thin strip of masking tape.

And that was it for day 1!

Next class we'll shape the grip and progress on wrapping the guides onto the blank.

So far, it's been fun (translation - no major screw-ups on my part - at least none that I know of right now !)

Pocono
fysh, jpbfly, dean_mt and 2 others like this.
Old 01-15-2012, 08:53 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: First Rod Build

Looks like a nice day's work! Do you have a lathe or something to shape the grip? I've always just glued them on a 1/4inch threaded rod and turned it in a drill to shape it off the rod. I'm interested to know how you're doing it.

Seems like a great project.
Old 01-15-2012, 08:54 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I'm sure this is more than fun Allan; very informative comes to mind when I look at the photos. You are in a good class by the looks of it, all the right stuff there.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 01-15-2012, 09:09 PM

kayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to all

Nice pick on the Sage Pocono, still have my first build and favorite rod RPL.

enjoy.
Old 01-15-2012, 09:14 PM

auntrout will become famous soon enough

Great way to spend a Sunday. Really like the step by step photos.
Old 01-16-2012, 05:29 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamhj View Post
Do you have a lathe or something to shape the grip? I'm interested to know how you're doing it.
Yes, the shop has a lathe. We'll be turning the handles next week. I'm going to put a half wells grip on it because I like the extra leverage that you can get with your thumb on the upturned end. Works well for me when I'm tossing larger patterns.

Nice looking rod there, Kayo. I'll likely be putting a green Ross Evolution reel on it; so it looks like we'll have some rod gear in common. Great job on the grip; I hope mine comes out OK; I'll find out next week.............

Ard, the shop has, apparently, been offering this course for over 20 years. They do 2 sessions a year; one in January and one in February. Both session are filled. They do have all of the space and gear to make the building process both easy and enjoyable. Really nice folks. The guy that's teaching the course comes from Aroostook county; so he's from way up-state.

Auntrout, I'll try to keep posting pics each week; but they're not coming out very well.............

Pocono
Old 01-16-2012, 06:07 AM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Starting to take shape Allen. Now comes the fun stuff.
Old 01-16-2012, 09:33 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Hope to test this Jarvis&Sage rod when we fish togetherGreat to be retired
Old 01-16-2012, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpbfly View Post
Hope to test this Jarvis&Sage rod when we fish together
Scary thought! Just don't tell Sage - I don't want them coming around to reclaim their blank before I get a chance to finish off the rod!

I really wonder what the grip will look like when it comes out of the press and off the lathe...........(??)

Pocono
Old 01-16-2012, 09:21 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocono View Post
Scary thought! Just don't tell Sage - I don't want them coming around to reclaim their blank before I get a chance to finish off the rod!

I really wonder what the grip will look like when it comes out of the press and off the lathe...........(??)

Pocono
Turning the handle is pretty fun. Made just for you, by you...custom, baby! And don't sweet it, you'll go slow and stop and feel the fit every couple minutes.

Man, this thread coming right after Auntrout's follow along has be itching to make another rod!