The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2012, 08:47 PM

chicagojohn will become famous soon enoughchicagojohn will become famous soon enough
Default Selecting Blanks for a Rod Build

I would like to begin rod building. What are your favorite blanks to build a good quality rod off of. I was interested in the Tiger Eye Private Label Blanks to start the process with.

Any feedback? I'd probably start with an 8'6" or 9' five weight.
Old 01-17-2012, 09:21 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Selecting Blanks for a Rod Build

I like the Tiger Eye, built a 4/5wt and a 3/4wt. The 4/5 was a gift and cast very nicely with a 5wt line and the 3/4 is 7'6" - I love it with a 4wt line. I get them directly from Sevier Manufacturing. Price is great and shipping fast.

What's your price range? That might help folks give you some guidance.
Old 01-17-2012, 09:59 PM

chicagojohn will become famous soon enoughchicagojohn will become famous soon enough

I think the Tiger Eye blanks at $60 are fair for the first build, when considering materials and start-up costs. I'd probably go after a more expensive blank for the second build.....possibly a Winston BIIx blank.
Old 01-18-2012, 08:14 AM

Auntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to all

Holy cow, CJ!! Where are you looking for Tiger Eye blanks???? You "may" want to check out Seviers ... you could get TWO blanks for that price!!!
Excellent choice for a first ... or second, third, fourth, etc ... build. You will love it!
Old 01-23-2012, 05:49 PM

hardhat is on a distinguished road

On the first build or two build some shorter lower weight rods. Then from there if you feel comfortable go after some higher priced things that you wish to have. The sevier blanks are a good value. I would also look at utmost, dan craft and dorber. They all run things on sale.
Old 01-23-2012, 07:34 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Directly from sevier will be cheaper than that before shipping. Also check out utmost enterprises, they have some rods on clearance.for dirt cheap.