The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2012, 06:45 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future
Default Re: Test Wraps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auntie Em View Post
Only one problem with this idea for color checking. The dowel rod is natural wood colored. It will not show what color the threads will become after epoxy. If you want to know what color your wraps will be on the color rod you're building, use the oil or water trick.

The wrapping on the dowel is EXCELLENT for practicing your wraps on before you turn to the new blank.
Exactly. Wrap test are done on the butt section. Put all the colors on that interest you, and if you're using NCP thread, put an additional set of wraps on with color preservitive. You could even coat them with epoxy to really get an idea. After a few rods under your belt, you'll get a better idea of what color thread will go with what color blank.
Old 02-01-2012, 02:37 PM

rrarods is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Test Wraps

Mojo is right on with this one. After time you will just start to see the colors you need to use! For my rods I lay out the blank and come up with my primary color. I lay tread spools next to it and come up with what I like. ThenI do the same with my secondary color. It works for me and I get a pretty good visual of what it will look like. Taking wraps off is always another option. After repairing rods for a while now I have gotten pretty good at removing wraps and epoxy from rods. If you know how to do it you can put the test wraps anywhere you like and then just take them back off!

Custom Rods You Can Afford to Fish
www.rollingriveranglers.com