The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Fly Rod Building (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-rod-building/)
-   -   Test Wraps (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-rod-building/232727-test-wraps.html)

auntrout 01-27-2012 01:18 PM

Test Wraps

This is probably a dumb question but I'd rather ask than regret later. I was going to be doing some test wraps on my next build so I know exactly what the thread will look like with finish applied. Do I need to let the finish on the test wraps completely cure before I go ahead and mount my reel seat over test wraps; I was planning on letting it dry at least 6-8 hours. I'm using all Flex Coat products (lite formula rod wrapping finish and rod building epoxy). I was worried that I might have some type of chemical reaction problem if I apply the rod building epoxy over the thread wrap finish that is still be a little tacky Thanks.

Hardyreels 01-27-2012 01:36 PM

Re: Test Wraps

Hi,

I'm not sure I get what you are saying, are the test wraps on the butt where the seat will go?

auntrout 01-27-2012 02:33 PM

Right, I'm going to do my test wraps where my reel seat/insert will be mounted. Blank is .33" OD and ID of the rosewood insert is .40". I figure I can do about six 0.25" wide test wraps without interfering where my masking tape bushings will go when I fit the reel seat.

Auntie Em 01-27-2012 02:52 PM

A really quick, down and dirty way to check what your thread wraps will look like, without having to go through all the time waiting ... wrap a test wrap, could be under the reel seat location, or anywhere, and dab some vegetable oil on it. It's amazing how well the test for color compares. Then simply wash it off!

auntrout 01-27-2012 03:01 PM

Wow, thanks for that pointer. I'll do that and after I decide I'll cut off the wrap and clean the blank with some DNA. I'm using a TFO Finesse blank which is a dark olive. I was going to test wrap the follow colors:

1. NCP Danville - Green
2. Fish Hawk with color lock - Green and Gunmetal
3. Pac Bay (regular thread) - Evergreen
4. Fish Hawk (no color lock) - Charcoal

mojo 01-27-2012 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Auntie Em (Post 386514)
A really quick, down and dirty way to check what your thread wraps will look like, without having to go through all the time waiting ... wrap a test wrap, could be under the reel seat location, or anywhere, and dab some vegetable oil on it. It's amazing how well the test for color compares. Then simply wash it off!

Or you can also use distilled water on the wraps.

hardhat 01-29-2012 09:49 PM

s the thread color fast or will it need a preserver? I would suggest getting a 3/8 rod at lowes or depot and run your test on one of those.

auntrout 01-30-2012 01:14 AM

Thanks for the pointers. I ended up using trying the vegetable oil and mineral spirits to wet the test wraps. Decided to go with the Fish Hawk charcoal thread for this build.

fredaevans 01-30-2012 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Auntie Em (Post 386514)

Now THAT is one 'Cool Dude' idea; LOVE IT! Make total sense.
fae

Auntie Em 01-31-2012 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hardhat (Post 387808)
s the thread color fast or will it need a preserver? I would suggest getting a 3/8 rod at lowes or depot and run your test on one of those.

Only one problem with this idea for color checking. The dowel rod is natural wood colored. It will not show what color the threads will become after epoxy. If you want to know what color your wraps will be on the color rod you're building, use the oil or water trick.

The wrapping on the dowel is EXCELLENT for practicing your wraps on before you turn to the new blank.