The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2012, 01:18 PM

auntrout will become famous soon enough
Default Test Wraps

This is probably a dumb question but I'd rather ask than regret later. I was going to be doing some test wraps on my next build so I know exactly what the thread will look like with finish applied. Do I need to let the finish on the test wraps completely cure before I go ahead and mount my reel seat over test wraps; I was planning on letting it dry at least 6-8 hours. I'm using all Flex Coat products (lite formula rod wrapping finish and rod building epoxy). I was worried that I might have some type of chemical reaction problem if I apply the rod building epoxy over the thread wrap finish that is still be a little tacky Thanks.
Old 01-27-2012, 01:36 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Test Wraps

Hi,

I'm not sure I get what you are saying, are the test wraps on the butt where the seat will go?

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 01-27-2012, 02:33 PM

Right, I'm going to do my test wraps where my reel seat/insert will be mounted. Blank is .33" OD and ID of the rosewood insert is .40". I figure I can do about six 0.25" wide test wraps without interfering where my masking tape bushings will go when I fit the reel seat.

Last edited by auntrout; 01-27-2012 at 02:55 PM.
Old 01-27-2012, 02:52 PM

Auntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to all

A really quick, down and dirty way to check what your thread wraps will look like, without having to go through all the time waiting ... wrap a test wrap, could be under the reel seat location, or anywhere, and dab some vegetable oil on it. It's amazing how well the test for color compares. Then simply wash it off!
Old 01-27-2012, 03:01 PM

Wow, thanks for that pointer. I'll do that and after I decide I'll cut off the wrap and clean the blank with some DNA. I'm using a TFO Finesse blank which is a dark olive. I was going to test wrap the follow colors:

1. NCP Danville - Green
2. Fish Hawk with color lock - Green and Gunmetal
3. Pac Bay (regular thread) - Evergreen
4. Fish Hawk (no color lock) - Charcoal
Old 01-27-2012, 08:14 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auntie Em View Post
A really quick, down and dirty way to check what your thread wraps will look like, without having to go through all the time waiting ... wrap a test wrap, could be under the reel seat location, or anywhere, and dab some vegetable oil on it. It's amazing how well the test for color compares. Then simply wash it off!
Or you can also use distilled water on the wraps.
Old 01-29-2012, 09:49 PM

hardhat is on a distinguished road

s the thread color fast or will it need a preserver? I would suggest getting a 3/8 rod at lowes or depot and run your test on one of those.
Old 01-30-2012, 01:14 AM

Thanks for the pointers. I ended up using trying the vegetable oil and mineral spirits to wet the test wraps. Decided to go with the Fish Hawk charcoal thread for this build.
Old 01-30-2012, 01:09 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Test Wraps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auntie Em View Post
Now THAT is one 'Cool Dude' idea; LOVE IT! Make total sense.
fae
Old 01-31-2012, 05:27 PM

Auntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardhat View Post
s the thread color fast or will it need a preserver? I would suggest getting a 3/8 rod at lowes or depot and run your test on one of those.
Only one problem with this idea for color checking. The dowel rod is natural wood colored. It will not show what color the threads will become after epoxy. If you want to know what color your wraps will be on the color rod you're building, use the oil or water trick.

The wrapping on the dowel is EXCELLENT for practicing your wraps on before you turn to the new blank.