The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2012, 12:34 PM

auntrout will become famous soon enough
Default Thread Colors for a Baston RX6 Blank

Up to my third build now. For this one I've decided to use a Baston RX-6 F764-5 blank; it will be a pack/travel rod. Looking for some thread suggestions to go with this blue blank. Hoping someone may has posted some pictures in the past of one of their builds. I was thinking about possibly using the Fish Hawk Cololock Teal or Blue Dun. Appreciate any feedback. Thanks
Old 02-05-2012, 03:14 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Thread Colors for a Baston RX6 Blank

I'm a fan of subtle color on graphite so I would go either dark gray / black with a royal blue tipping.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 02-05-2012, 03:27 PM

Thanks Hardy. On the TFO Finesse I'm finishing right now I went with the Fish Hawk charcoal and I thought it looked pretty good. I'll be doing test wraps again, and the charcoal will be on the list. Just looking for ideas since I have to put in my order and I thought I'd cover a couple options. My local fly shop is about 25 miles away and doesn't have a great selection of rod building thread so I have to rely on mail order for my thread. I've learned to just order all options at once even though I'll end up with a couple spools of unused thread.
Old 02-05-2012, 03:29 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute

Have you learned to add tippings to your wraps? If not it may be time to practice

Old 02-05-2012, 03:31 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

I know I'm not venturing very far off the beaten path here but on blue colored blanks I've always liked the green main wrap with a red trim wrap like T&T has done on some of their spey rods.
Spey - Thomas & Thomas Click on the second window to see what I'm referring to.

You could always try a lighter shade of green?

"Whoever said happiness comes with sunshine, has never known a Steelhead fisherman who prays for Fall rains."

Old 02-05-2012, 03:41 PM

Hardy, that is a great point. Now that this is my 3rd build it probably is time to try. I thought I read somewhere that tippings are usually done on the stripping guide, tip top wrap and down near the grip, but is not usually done on all the snake guides. Is that true or am I getting it confused with something else. Do you know of any good tutorials on doing tippings. Thanks.
Old 02-05-2012, 03:42 PM
Administrator

If I tip the wraps I do them all.

Fysh, that's cool, the green darn near disappears and the red is subtle enough.............nice.

Old 02-05-2012, 03:45 PM

John, thanks for the link to the T&T. I wouldn't have thought of that combination. I do have an assortment of shades of green since I built two rods using the TFO Finesse blank, which is a olive green. I'll make sure I use a couple of greens when doing my test wraps.