The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

Like Tree36Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2012, 01:35 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My winter spey rod project.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
Wow, Dan that grip is look awesome!

I sure hope your back is doing a little better!

Larry
Thanks! Actually I think my back has declared war on me. I've engaged in standard warfare with it, but I'm afraid I may have to nuke it.

I just turned the ends of the top grip today. I did them as seperate pieces from the main grip because I didn't want to try drilling the hole in the center up to 3/8" with thin multi piece rings. I'm going to turn the wholw grip on a 3/8" mandrel. I thought it would be safer this way. I took photos and step by stepped it. I'll post the photos tonight.
Old 02-20-2012, 01:38 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

So I take it you ordered the blank for the big rod................... Looks like the grip is coming along real good.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 02-20-2012, 01:56 PM
Banned

Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I did order it. I decided to go ahead and put the grip on the 14'er though because I'm short on cork for the longer grip. I don't want to plan for it going on the big rod and ending up ordering cork with a different color. I have really white cork so far, and the next cork order may not come out as light. Better to get it all as one order. I did order the guides for it though.
Old 02-20-2012, 01:58 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Great job Dancan't wait to see that BIG rod....and the BIG fish you're going to catch with ithope you'll win the war!!!
Old 02-25-2012, 08:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
I'm thinking about doing a weave and a feather inlay on this rod. I tried like a son of a gun to get these Impeyan Monal breast feathers for the feather inlay from E-Bay, but I got sniped at the last second so I am still thinking about that one. They were a dark metallic Blue. Would have been perfect. Lots of time left to come up with a good plan B.
Well I don't need a plan B anymore. I got some Impeyan Monal breast feathers for the inlay. I payed an arm and a leg for them, but I wanted them badly. As for the weave, Thomas and Thomas sent me a couple of stickers with the logo on them. I finished the weave pattern today.

I have done photos of every step in doing the weave pattern. So here's the question I want you guys to answer. Do you want me to post the weave in this thread or should I go in the 'Fly Rod Building' section and start a new thread for that?

Also, they didn't make a pilot bit the size I needed to do the bottom grip, so I had a 'pilot' machined for me. I have the pilot bit for the top grip to get close to the minimum I.D. needed to fit the blank. But since I'm turning it on a 3/8" mandrel on a lathe, a bit with a 1/4" pilot does not work........ till I invented and machined the 1/4" to 3/8" adapter that is.

I have a bunch of photos to post, but I'll wait till you guys tell me what you think about putting the weave here or a new thread.
Old 02-25-2012, 11:53 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Just post it . I don't care where .
Guest1 likes this.
Old 02-29-2012, 02:30 PM
Banned

I've got a few hours invested in this rod and no parts on the blank, but here's where I am now.

I got the logo from Thomas and Thomas and scanned it. I then printed it out.
Click the image to open in full size.
I took the printed version and using a T Square, made a grid on the picture. This is so I can draw it on very large graph paper. I numbered the grid across one side and lettered the grid on the other. Then I took thread like I will be using for the weave and calculated how many threads I want to make the weave's width.
Once I know how many threads I want the weave to be, I mark the big graph paper for how many threads per square on the printed logo. In this case it was 4. I use this to freehand the final version.
This next photo is the completed drawing. You have to keep in mind when you are doing them that this is a weave and not a drawing, so some adjusting may be needed to accommodate fitting the squares on the grid.
Next I color the squares that will be the pattern. If a square is less than half in the pattern I don't color it. If it's more than half I do. In the case where it hits the square right in half, don't color it, then step back and look at it. Some of the half squares need to be colored, some don't so it's a judgment call there.
This is the completely colored pattern and there were a couple adjustments made to make it look right.
The next thing you do is start on one side and number all the squares in the pattern, then do the same down the 90 off side.
The numbers along the left side of the photo above represent threads. The numbers along the bottom of the photo above represent steps (turns). The next step is to make the 'Left List' Go to turn 1, and then write the threads that will be in the pattern on turn 1.
I write this down different than the way most do. I do it like it's punctuation in a sentence. In the Doc Ski manner, step 1 woul be, 35.41 but I do it 35,41. As you can see in step 4, there is a gap in the threads that are in the pattern. So I write it as 24,37.40,53 like you would as each group is a sentance. I know it's backwards of the way most do it but I like it better and as long as you know if you buy a pattern it's likely to be the other way.
Even with multi color weaves the pattern is done the same way. When I make the left list on multi color weaves, I write it the same way and do the thread numbers on the list in the color the threads should be or in colors to represent the real color. In the Wild logo, Green was the background color so that is the thread you wrap the rod with and weave the pattern through. I used red, black and blue ink pens to represent white, red and yellow threads in the weave.
I finished turning the top grip. The quality of the cork is pretty good but not as good as the stuff I used on my Meiser. I am going to have to do some fill work on this one. As soon as I have that done I will assemble the handle on the blank.
thorsten likes this.
Old 02-29-2012, 02:53 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Dan,
Buy the software it makes it sooooo much easier.
Old 02-29-2012, 05:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by swirlchaser View Post
Dan,
Buy the software it makes it sooooo much easier.
Where's the fun in that? Plus I don't think it would have had the same effect if I just went, "step 1, buy the software."

---------- Post added at 05:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:25 PM ----------

Since it was mentioned I thought I would provide a ink to a place that does sell the software.
Visual Wrap and Visual Weave Design Software
Old 02-29-2012, 09:16 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
Where's the fun in that? Plus I don't think it would have had the same effect if I just went, "step 1, buy the software."

---------- Post added at 05:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:25 PM ----------

Since it was mentioned I thought I would provide a ink to a place that does sell the software.
Visual Wrap and Visual Weave Design Software
That's the best software I've seen so far